Aerial Lifts

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ArborSKILL

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hey guys, I'm a new member to ArboristSite, however have been a "viewer" for the past year or so now. You guys put up some good convo's and it's interesting to hear from other people in the industry. I'm lookin' into a 99 International w/ a 55' Aerial Lift of Connecticut and was wondering if any of you guys have any info on what to look for in buying a used bucket truck? Any info is appreciated, thanks!

Welcome, ArborSkill!

I ain't an expert in used equipment, but we've a few here that'll help you out! Just hang loose for a bit... :)

I would say if buying used to be sure it is up to date on all inspections. Look the boom over to see how well they have maintained the unit. Be sure the cables have kepted coated(white lithium). Maybe take a look at the end of the boom where you would lanyard in at to see if it bent at all sugesting it was used improperly for rigging. Check the cables for any valley or fatigue breaks. You plan on using it aroung energized lines be sure it has had diaelectrical test within the past year. Just overall appearance in unit as a whole. You get what you pay for just be sure you don't pay too much and if it is need of any maintnence be sure to have it serviced.

Get the serial number of the boom and call Arial Lift of CT and ask them if any major work was done to the boom. They are real good people to deal with. I checked Three different numbers with them before I found a boom I would trust. One I checked had been on three different chassis. The last two numbers of the serial number tell you what year the boom was manufactured.

Originally posted by 2ndgclimber
Ive heard of guys rigging limbs and wood off of the boom,is this a common and safe practice?

I used my boom to tie off large branches and load logs, but mine was an Altec material handler boom, which was built to lift as much as 1500 lbs. and I was careful to never shock load it.

Hey guys, thanks for the input, I have called and done a "background check" w/ Aerial Lift of CT, they said it only needed 3 repairs since the last time they had seen it, and the seller told me he would be making those repairs BEFORE i checked w/ Aerial Lift of CT. The truck seems to be a clean unit, i'm buying from Florida. I sent a friend of the family to test drive it and check over everything and he gave me a good report, so i'm making arrangements to have it trailered up to PA. Thanks again for the input.

Whatcha gonna name her?

She's BEAUTIFUL, bro!
yes.gif

Now, get some canvas-covered plywood on that headache rack!

attachment.php

I've done some rigging off the boom of truck. It was quite handy when the tree was a bit too crispy to lower off of. Also it was no big deal to me it wasn't my truck and the boss said things to me like I don't have much money on this you know what to do. So I would do what ever it took to bring it in with a profit. I once too the liner out of the basket to give myself a littly more capacity hung the basket off the side of the truck and then like 3 of us hung on the side to see how weight it could handle and put a guy in the tree. I had two slings on the boom and used it like a crane. It was much, just a smaller cherry tree over a dog kennel with the dog in the kennel. Then there was a time a took a 30 ft spruce tree down in one pick with boom. It was easier to just pick up the whole thing due to the landscape around the spruce and to sit it down on the chipper. Sure a crane would be nice or the time put on the job to do it slowly and carefuly but some salesmen have no buisness selling tree work. Who the F sell 100 black oak trees to be crown cleaned one inch for $75 a tree?

If it was my truck I would have purchase one that had some sort of jib or was set up for some light rigging. It is handy and it would be great if the manufature would keep in mind when designing these lifts what sort men will be operating them.

My current employer doesn't like me to cut and handle peices to throw them down. I would like to cut 100 pound pieces and set them on the basket and then fly down to the ground and drop them off. I figure at 200lbs I could put another 100 in the basket with me. I can remember once I snuck up in the middle of this oak tree with boom, it was a real wiggle. It was the piece of dead and the end of the day. The piece was a bit of stretch to handle and bit too big around to just hold. I was wearing a long sleave shirt so I took it off and tied a running bowline with the sleeve and used it as a strap to hold on to. That was pretty creative. Just the sort of crazyness I am known for. What is the rating of a cotton T-shirt?

My boss doesn't like me tying stuff off to the boom either, but I just tell her to shush up.

:D

Maybe things are different now

The only bucket I've ever operated were single man, rated at 300lbs. I'm 200, I can safely hold on to/lay across the bucket a load around 100lbs.

A special jib that was attached, and RATED FOR, a specific load WOULD be cool.

But the original question was whether using using a bucket to load was appropriate.

Even if a boom has a fixed jib for lifting and is rated for it. That rating is for raising a dead load from a standing position. A jib boom is not for rigging limbs off of. I am not engineer and do no know how much force is multiplied by a swinging object but that is not was that equipment was designed for. I have cut small logs and carried them down in basket but my opinion is to rig off the tree and use the bucket as a people lift.

Re: Whatcha gonna name her?

Originally posted by MasterBlaster
She's BEAUTIFUL, bro!
yes.gif

Now, get some canvas-covered plywood on that headache rack!

attachment.php

whats the gross ton weight of this fine machine ..do you need a special driving licence to drive this vehicle

Nice looking truck. May we ask how much you paid for it along with the weight..CDL or not. Height?

I have rigged stuff from the boom also. Just gotta keep it very small. When I am in a spot where I have no hole to drop the limbs, sometimes I cut them with a stub. Hang the limb on the edge of ther bucket by the stub. Sometimes doing a few limbs at a time. Then I can pan the bucket over and drop the limbs right behind the chipper.

Back