Air circulation happens when propane engaged, not OWB?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bodhisoma

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Not sure if the OWB heating system is working right...

This is likely more related to HVAC than the OWB but (a) what I don't know about either could just about squeeze into the grand canyon and (b) people here seem to be knowledgable on both, so here goes...

My meager understanding tells me that the propane heats the water which circulates to the plenum, the air blowing past the plenum circulates the warmed air through the system/house.

Until recently we've been 100% propane. When the propane system "kicked in," we'd hear a big fan turn on -- presumably the blower -- and we'd feel the air throughout the house coming through the vents.

When the OWB is the one "in charge," (ie, the propane thermostat is turned all the way down, the OWB thermostat is set to higher than current air temp), the fan does not kick in. Ever. Upstairs is warmed but we think it's by convection, downstairs seems much colder.

I'm assuming that the blower should be activating in either case. When the HVAC guy was here the other day, he noted that the water coming in from the OWB was nice and hot and appeared to be working fine. Unfortunately we hadn't noticed the no-fan problem until after he'd already left.

Both boilers are pushed to the same air circulation blower/plenum. In fact, they seem to be connected and therefore exchange/share water, so I don't quite understand why the blower would be kicking in for the propane boiler but not the OWB.

Is there something I'm not understanding? If not, what can I do to troubleshoot?

I should mention that the OWB (Classic 5036) is operating quite well, high temp set to 185F, I love this thing.

Thanks VERY much in advance! I'd like to prevent another call to the very nice but very expensive HVAC people.

2012-12-22_13-03-01_779_copy.png

2012-12-22_13-03-31_610_copy.jpg

2012-12-22_13-04-05_228_copy.jpg

2012-12-22_13-04-16_825_copy.jpg

Last edited:
Sounds like there is no signal going to your blower relay from you OWB t stat. Your hvac guy should be able to wire a relay in that will only engage the fan when the OWB t stat calls for it. I had to put an isolation relay of sorts into mine otherwise I had issues w power backfeeding into things that didn't agree w the signal.

Well, the missus and I went out for the evening -- the first time since the baby was born -- and we returned to find the fan circulating heat and I confirmed visually that the propane heater was not lit (only the pilot).

So now I'm confused. =(

Will keep an eye on it. Perhaps my water temp of 185F isn't enough to engage the blower and we just got lucky tonight?

Should I move it to 190F and see if that helps?

You have a propane boiler and furnace, and wood boiler, tied in as one? The water pic cannot be as you discribe. Wood unit t-stat have any wires to the air handler or propane boiler?

You have a propane boiler and furnace, and wood boiler, tied in as one? The water pic cannot be as you discribe.

As I understand it, we have two sources of heat; the OWB and an indoor propane heater/boiler (not sure of the correct terminology there). Both of these are can/do heat the residential water supply.

Wood unit t-stat have any wires to the air handler or propane boiler?

When you're asking about the thermostat, do you mean the stat on the Classic 5036 itself, where I can set the temp upper boundary, or something else?

Would it be better if I posted a short vid?

THe indoor t-stat to the wood boiler. Where do the wires go?

Oh. Derp. I know what you're asking for. I don't know where the wires go, unfortunately, it's attached to the walls and even if I removed it, I couldn't tell you where the wires go past a short visual range.

The good news is that everything seems to be working as expected. Can't say why, but...

Latest posts

Back