Air filter replacement

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Climbing mike

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Has anyone used an aftermarket air filter system on there chippers? I have looked at the ones with the impeller in the prefilter to remove dust. I have a vermeer 1250 chipper with turbo perkins diesel, and I change the filter reguarly, but I am now replacing the motor for the second time in 1200 hrs, because dirt has gotten in to the motor. I want to know the best filter system there is for chippers.
Thanks Mike

Try www.enginaire.com.

I have these pre-filters on both my stump grinder and chipper. They have the impeller to remove some of the dust before it reaches the filter. I have been very pleased with the units and would recommend them as they do work and increase the time between filter changes.

You must have a leak someplace in filter, I had a Vermeer 1250 for quite a few years and never had any trouble, chamged filter once a year. also have same filter on my Vermeer stumper and that sure gets into a lot of dust in the summer. Make sure all conections are tight

Everything looks good on the filter and connections. I change the filter atlest once a month and make sure it is tight. Now for a second time in 1250 hrs I have to replace motor and turbo because of damage done by dust getting into the system.:mad: This time I am replacing all the parts of the filter system.
Thanks Mike

We have the aformentioned pre air "cleaner" on our stump grinders, and it works well. Dirt souldn't be tearin up your motors like that. Both of our grinders have at least 1200 hours on them, and the diesel mechanic says they have another 2-3000 hours left in them.

No I dont blow out the air filter assembly. I normally have the filters changed by other shops. (like sherrill, vermeer, and now a smaller company) The air filter set up has been check and recheck by all of the above, it operates as it should. That being said its my opinion that the filter is flawed by design. The chipper is a 91 model I'm sure things have changed since. That is why I'm going to a different set up on the filter asssembly. I will probably put a system on it fron enginaire I have heard good things from them I can only hope that the new motor that will be ready tommorow will last much longer than the first two.

Thanks Mike

Yes I have a service come once a week and check all equipment. Its better that way, I have more time to do the things i need to do. I run a small three man company but I have lots of equipment. You probably think that me or one of my worker should do this stuff, and mabey if the week had 8 or 9 days in it i would. My guys get to many hrs now, they are finally back to 40 to 50 hrs a week. We spent all year about 3 months behind schedule, we were working 6 to 7 days a week. It became much easier to hire a company to service the equipment. It has worked out well. If I could remind you my question was, what after market air filter assemblys work? Thats all I wanted to know.

Thanks mike

Not to get off topic, but I'd might become suspicion of the quality of work that your service company is performing.
- How many hours between complete oil changes, what brand air & oil filters are being used, is the correct type of oil being used (is it diesel rated)?

We had two kohler 26hp engine go on our stump grinder in one season . . . turns out that the guy doing maintenance was tightening down the air filter too much, which caused a gap in the rubber filter flange and allowed dust in.

Check how dirty is the inlet tube past the air filter is.

Latest posts

Back