Air In ??

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

russ61

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Every body seems to be making muffler mods.What about the air coming in?How about drilling and screening the air box cover?Any gains to be had?

As long as you properly adjust the fuel mixture,but it's nothing big....Most saws these days already have as much coming in as they can handle.

Every body seems to be making muffler mods.What about the air coming in?How about drilling and screening the air box cover?Any gains to be had?

YES !!! More air you can get in the more fuel needed witch equals More power !

Try this tach your saw don't touch any of the carb settings .......... Pull the air cleaner off see how many more RPMs you gain......

.......... Pull the air cleaner off see how many more RPMs you gain......

Curious if by air cleaner you mean the cover, or the air filter? If I read this correctly, the original question was about possible improvements by modding the cover. There may be some saws out there where the cover restricts airflow, but in most cases I'd wager the filter itself is a bigger obstacle to the flow. I may be wrong here, so please take this as my opinion only. If there's a K&N kit for your saw, or you can fabriacte one yourself, you may get improvements. There are no kits for any of my old Homelites, so I can't speak on any first hand experience using an aftermarket filter. I personally would rather keep a stock filter and know I'm not sucking dirt into my engine than trying to make a special filter that may have a very big negative side-effect.

In any case, I doubt on most saws that you will significantly improve airflow by simply modding a cover or air box by cutting out a hole and adding a wire screen.

And by the way Russ, nice Homelites you have there:clap: 360s and 410s are nice saws.

Dan

Aftermarket air improvements are one of the first things I swich over when building or modding a new saw.
I have used in the recent past Hole-Shot and Max-Flo, but went back to the "Green Weanies" waaay more air.
Stock is simply not sufficient for my needs and wants...bottom line.
I also widen and lower my intake too.
All Stihl saws BTW.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back