Air leaks and clogged mufflers

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dan Forsh

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
I thought that I had this one right in my mind from reading up threads on it, but may be not.

Reading a description of a saw for sale, guy says "has an air leak won't rev up fully.

I thought that an air leak caused a lean condition making a saw race, or does it depend on where on the saw the air leak is?

saws that won't get up there I've seen successfully diagnosed as having a plugged muffler screen.

Set me right please boys:bowdown:

Hi Dan.

If a saw has leaky seals it draws in air through these rather than pulling in fuel-air mix through the carb. Less fuel means less energy output.

I think you are right for really small leaks, but I guess the experts will fill us in shortly...

Hi Dan.

If a saw has leaky seals it draws in air through these rather than pulling in fuel-air mix through the carb. Less fuel means less energy output.

I think you are right for really small leaks, but I guess the experts will fill us in shortly...

Yeah, that makes sense, I suppose it depends on how bad the leak is. A small leak maybe makes for the lean condition I suggested whereas a larger leak could mean what you're saying?

Someone put me right.

A large air leak will also mess up the impulse signal and not allow the carb to pump the fuel out of the tank causing a lean condition.

Yep.. can be true... But the seller may not have a clue so it could be anything... Even a bad ignition on some saws.

Latest posts

Back