Air spading Pin Oaks?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

burnandreturn

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Anyone ever hear that a Pin Oak shouldn't be touched or it will die? I was told if I exposed the flare on a Pin Oak it would kill the tree in a couple of years. Doesn't sound quite right to me.

Never heard of anything like that. Seems to fly in the face of everything we know about root flares.

Originally posted by burnandreturn
I was told if I exposed the flare on a Pin Oak it would kill the tree in a couple of years.
Perhaps the words of a blind planter who buried his flares and wanted an alibi?

I went back and talked to the fellow that said this and he said he meant post oaks not pin oaks. Now I know that post oaks are very susceptable to construction damage and root compaction at building sites, but I see no reason why exposing the flare and root aeration wouldn't do anything but help in these situations. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Changing his story. Not a good thing (see elections threads in OT forum). Although, it's ok to change if you were wrong in the first place, as long as the switch is to something correct.

Originally posted by burnandreturn
I see no reason why exposing the flare and root aeration wouldn't do anything but help in these situations. Correct me if I'm wrong.
You are right. On post oake (Quercus stellata, right?), mulching REALLY helps, too.

Back