Airplane Rules and Regs...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Canyonbc

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Quick Question for everyone...

Wondering does any one know the sight or by your experience on what you can take on planes. By taking on planes i mean underneath. I have heard chain saws aren't allowed even with the luggage underneath.

Does anyone know what stuff you can take on the plane???

Thanks in advance.

Canyon

I have flown chainsaws as baggage several times. I get some strange looks but all thay ever ask is if there is any gas or oil in them. As long ast they are empty they don't have a problem with them. You need to put them in something that will conceal them and protect them somewhat. A plastic tote works good.
I have also flown fire arms with no trouble, just leave yourself a little extra time to declare them sign the papaer that sais they are unloaded, let them wipe them with their little explosives detector wipes, lock the case and fly away. Put the ammo in a seperate lockable case.
It kind of feels funny walking through the middle of LAX with a couple of rifles with a few hundred rounds, a couple of saws, a suitcase and a carry on bag.

I have flown chainsaws as baggage several times. I get some strange looks but all thay ever ask is if there is any gas or oil in them. As long ast they are empty they don't have a problem with them. You need to put them in something that will conceal them and protect them somewhat. A plastic tote works good.
I have also flown fire arms with no trouble, just leave yourself a little extra time to declare them sign the papaer that sais they are unloaded, let them wipe them with their little explosives detector wipes, lock the case and fly away. Put the ammo in a seperate lockable case.
It kind of feels funny walking through the middle of LAX with a couple of rifles with a few hundred rounds, a couple of saws, a suitcase and a carry on bag.

Nice.

Who were you flying with? How long ago was it...even with todays rules and security??

I am only trying to fly from Oakland to San Diego...

I could have swore....i have read of other members of this sight having trouble with saws on planes...but could easily be wrong.

Canyon

I flew with 2 saws on American Airlines back in October '07 from JFK. I told the check-in staff but they didn't seem to care. Here's what's on their website.

Gasoline-Powered Tools gas-powered trimmers/edgers, chain saws See Notes Allowed in checked baggage only. Must be new/unused, in the original packaging (which must be in good condition).

I flew with 2 saws on American Airlines back in October '07 from JFK. I told the check-in staff but they didn't seem to care. Here's what's on their website.

Gasoline-Powered Tools gas-powered trimmers/edgers, chain saws See Notes Allowed in checked baggage only. Must be new/unused, in the original packaging (which must be in good condition).

Thanks for the information.

I am not flying till March so i think my best bet is going to be too call South West..as i am flying with them and just find out that way for sure.

Thanks everyone for the stories.

i just recently flew from AR to NC with two firearms and flew back with two chainsaws. Never had a problem just show up an extra hour early to do all the paper work. make sure u lock ur bags after luggage has checked them in. I flew american airlines and had no issues at all with them

Do you really know what TSA stands for? Thousands Standing Around

just out of curiosity, what are your guys doing that requires flying around the country with saws? I have travelled quite a bit but have never needed a saw at my destination.

I'm glad this question has been asked - I travel alot for work and have been considering taking a saw with me one of these times and getting a bunch of hardwood (firewood), renting a UHaul and driving it back home.
All we have here in MT is pine/fir for burning so it would be nice to have a couple cords of hardwood.

just last year i moved 1100 miles away from my family. i went home for xmas. mom said she had two trees fall in her yard and one at my house. so instad of buying a saw when i got there i flew mine with me. bit of a pain carrying extra bags but easier on my wallet. and hey its family gotta do what ya can for them

just out of curiosity, what are your guys doing that requires flying around the country with saws? I have travelled quite a bit but have never needed a saw at my destination.

Well i am sure ever story is a little different. but mine is...

I am from San Diego, but now live in Sonoma County while in college...

My younger sister travel softball team, well there field has a couple of dead Eucs on it...

They are a non profit organization...so i am going to do it for them, while down in March for my spring break.

I dont like to work for free...but its going to me dropping the trees or one of the dad's with his Populan from Lowes...

Is there a good rental store in the immediate area? For about $30-40 per day you can usually get a good saw... Might even ask the organization if they'll pay the rental fees.

Is there a good rental store in the immediate area? For about $30-40 per day you can usually get a good saw... Might even ask the organization if they'll pay the rental fees.

I am sure they would...they offered to pay to Fed Ex them down...

There really arent...they Eucs there are 4 of them...ranging from 25''-30'' DBH...they rent Stihl 310 with a 20'' but i would like my 441 down there...

Latest posts

Back