Alder Score

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Straightgrain

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I was out helping my neigbor (World's Best) manage a small logging project; Bucking logs, de-limbing and yard cleanup. I helped him put in a couple culverts. Fun project.

He had the D-4 dozer operator pull up an alder tree for my ongoing BBQ/smoking operations back at the house.

Each length is 192" and the top is @ 120". The butt was 9" in diameter.

His cows cleaned off all the leaves for me too.

Dang logs were so heavy, my rear ATV axle kept flying all the way home (1 mile). I set the rear dolly and the front choker too far back but we made it.

I don't have many alders on my land so this was a real fine gift.

A year's worth of cooking wood.:chainsaw:

Last edited:
Nice score, I like alder as firewood, most wouldn't give anything for it but over a few seasons of burning I have found it to be just right for most of our needs.
What do you smoke/cook with it? Over here it is used for Salmon smoking and thats about it.

I cook/smoke almost any kind of meat with the alder; grouse, quail, chciken, salmon, Lamb, elk trout, pork and deer sausage.

The best stuff is what breaks off when I split the wood.

Sometimes, I soak it or oak in red wine instead of water.

If you would like some of my recipies, PM me as somebody will probably complain about my mis-use of this forum for cooking topics .

Last edited:
any chance you could get some pics up of the teeth on the dozer blade and how they are made? Can you buy them or do you have to fab them?

On the ATV?

I am flattered you ask; I took the original sacrificial strip that came with the blade, I welded 1/2 rebar and bent them to match my needs.

It works fantastic for moving brush and limbs.

The rebar bends every so often, so I just bend it back.

I had to remove the two outside forks as when my ATV rocks from side to side in the woods, the ends of the blade want to grab too deep

Come snow removeal season, I will remount the 3/8" flat metal strip.

Since I made it last week, I have used it every day.

Thanks for the info on the teeth. I have a wheelhorse with a blade i do some dirt moving and such with, and sometimes i want to be able to dig with the blade a little bit into harder ground or compacted crushed stone. Kinda silly though to be moving dirt with a garden tractor, but its much easier than by hand.

Back