All is going well enough at the moment

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nope,No stick shift can be goten in new F150,250 or 350 since about 2011.Same with GM.They could be had in Dodge until I think 2012.

2013 dodges still had them. I don't know about the 14s. The 6.4 could be had with a manual. No duramax since the 07 came with a manual.

What is their stated reasoning for no manual transmissions any more? I really don't follow new vehicles at all, so this is all new to me.

What is their stated reasoning for no manual transmissions any more? I really don't follow new vehicles at all, so this is all new to me.
wow i really didnt think there wasnt even an option to get a manual, id atleast think they would still offer it in a base model 2WD "work truck".

as for why not? im thinking something to do with repair work income, if there arent any problems with a manual then they cant make money off transmission work... im just guessing.
now the autos are getting "better" but they are still nowhere near as reliable as a manual. they may be able to be built to handle the HP but for how long until they need a rebuild?? id rather change the oil a few times and replace the clutch every 200K or so instead of rebuilding/replacing, and have a warning that it needs to be serviced instead of just driving along and loosing everything except reverse, atleast with a slipping clutch you can atleast make it home (usually)

Better? Is a term used quite loosely in this thread? The problem is only partly the automatic transmission in a work truck. If the engineers had designed the truck with a decent auto, then it would work just fine. They would have had to design the thing for the worse case scenario and then added in a fudge factor knowing that some meat head would overload it a few times. For a extreme example, the really big earth movers are a auto. The clutch for those BIG diesels would be a mechanical nightmare. Fluid drive is the best answer there.

Not all stick shifts are better! the first generation dodge with the Getrag for example... I was not exactly a fan of that Mazda tranny in the F150 mentioned above. We had one, it ran well enough. Way overgeared for the small V8 in front of it. There are other examples...

Now, my conversion to a T18/19 is pushing that transmission pretty hard, and this is with a stock 5.9 initial momentum would not really be the problem. It would be when the turbo kicked in. and it saw the 500 something torque. that is when the countershaft would be straining.

Now with a decent ratio of about 46:1 versus the origional 17.7:1 with the auto (not counting converter multiplication) it should be really easy to get it crawling around in the sticks. Not as good as the 54:1 that is in a old 74 I got out here, but probably adequate.

The auto makers reasoning for not offering stick shift,I'm told by dealers,is (1) the added emissions testing required to meet EPA standards.When up shifting with a stick, as the throttle is released bad stuff is sent out the pipe.Also drivers tend to hold a lower gear then needed.My opinion- the above is BS.(2)Dealers would tell you "well, nobody buys them"Of course nobody buys them.Autos

were and are pushed.When I bought my '06,the dealer went out of state to get a manual for me.
One time when I was at the dealer for a recall on another vehicle. I walked through the lot looking at new trucks.There were 30 trucks out there,from Rangers to F450s and not a manual X/MIS to be found!None were customer ordered,all were dealer inventory.

According to fords chief engineer on the 2011+ Super Duty program, only 1-1.5% of buyers opted for the manual transmission in previous years (I assume 6.4 trucks) of course then it was pointed out by others that even in those trucks only in the very base strippers could you get it, (Ie rubber floor, manual windows, locks, am radio or the modern equivalent of such spartan features.) Once you went to a nice option package no longer could you get the manual. I want the King Ranch with a manual and I'm sure others did too but were forced to go auto to get a nicely optioned truck. Ok maybe not the King Ranch but I need cruise control, a/c and a few other things.

According to fords chief engineer on the 2011+ Super Duty program, only 1-1.5% of buyers opted for the manual transmission in previous years (I assume 6.4 trucks) of course then it was pointed out by others that even in those trucks only in the very base strippers could you get it, (Ie rubber floor, manual windows, locks, am radio or the modern equivalent of such spartan features.) Once you went to a nice option package no longer could you get the manual. I want the King Ranch with a manual and I'm sure others did too but were forced to go auto to get a nicely optioned truck. Ok maybe not the King Ranch but I need cruise control, a/c and a few other things.
The 6 spd man. was avaliable with any engine option and any trim level,when it was still avaliable.The manual X/FER case could not be had with a certain trim level because it couldn't be shifted(no room to move the lever) or so I'm told.As to that 1 to 1.5% number-you won't sell any manuals to impulse buyers if you don't stock them.I'm still P/Od that they are no longer avaliable.

Latest posts

Back