All you CT guys who have OWB...Look inside

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ChipMonger

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Im seriously considering installing an OWB, im sick of the oil companies bending me over the counter. I have 3 acres of Red oak to burn, so wood isn't a problem, estimated around 100-120 cord. Im just starting my research into this endeavor. My question is, for those in CT and Mass for that matter what brands are readily available in our area, and have good customer support? any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

Im seriously considering installing an OWB, im sick of the oil companies bending me over the counter. I have 3 acres of Red oak to burn, so wood isn't a problem, estimated around 100-120 cord. Im just starting my research into this endeavor. My question is, for those in CT and Mass for that matter what brands are readily available in our area, and have good customer support? any help is appreciated.

Thanks,

Paul

Sorry I am not in CT....but had to reply.....100 cord would do me for <10 years in my OWB.
Since a OWB is a major investment, ...do u have other areas to get additional wood?

i looked into an OWB, in my area it's too congested and DEP and CT law makes it all but impossible for me to put one in at my home with setbacks and height of chimney over neighbors houses. I'm going with an indoor unit. there are zero restrictions on those.

Maybe I can help

What area / general region of CT are you in? If your truly rural, you've got a shot. If you're in the "burbs", where the soccer moms take Tiffy and Chad to practice in their Range Rover, you're flat out screwed.

Drop a PM if you wish for very reputable dealer up in my neck of the woods.

Take Care

I live

...on the NY side of Danbury. For the past 12 years I've had 1 45K btu pellet stove heat my 2750 sq ft house. It's a pain to regulate exact temps and you need an inverter and marine battery or generator in case of a power outage. But at the cost of less than $350 a year, it's been a bargain. I used oil in my first house. Insane costs.

I guess the wood stoves have much of the same issues. House getting hot, waiting for the temp to go low enough to turn back on and those in between nights. Well, it all makes for tougher kids. There is a ZERO chance I will pay 2 or 3 grand a winter ever again.

Not trying to sell you on pellets but agreeing that an alternative is the way to go. We have our next home scoped out and it has 2 fireplaces and 6 acres. I will get a wood and a
pellet insert.

My neighbor has a coal/wood stove hooked up to radiators and it burns cleaner than mine. He uses the wood to get it going. Some good options out there. Choose one and you will never look back.

I have a woodmaster 5500 and use it to heat my 3500 sq ft house. I bought it from the folks in Waterbury ( CT Wood Furnace). I have had great support, they helped me with the install and a few tech issues. I use about 8-10 cords a year. If you have any questions pm me good luck

ChipMonger,
You probably already know this, but for any species of oak, time required for air-drying is approx. twice that of other hardwoods.
Gotta plan ahead and start getting it c/s/s now for whatever future use. You can always re-cut & re-split a/r later.

I live in CT and was also looking at an owb but went with a Clayton 1600 furnace I got a Tractor Supply. The owb seemed like the way to go keeping everything outside no mess or smoke in the house. That was until I did more checking on price and state regulations. Another big down side is they eat a lot of wood.

For comparison I heat 2400sf with my Clayton 1600 on 4-5 cord per winter. So far this winter as of 1/22/12 I have used 1.5 cord and that's with burning for a week in October when we were out of power for a week (another advantage to having it in the basement).

George

basement wood/oil boiler

if you have a basement use a wood boiler,or wood oil boiler.5 to 7 cords a year .nov to apr.2000sq ft house ,72-74 deg. - 24 hours a day.free hot water for showers and washer.8 to 9 hours burn time.why go outside? i have been using the same one 37 years! k

ChipMonger,
You probably already know this, but for any species of oak, time required for air-drying is approx. twice that of other hardwoods.
Gotta plan ahead and start getting it c/s/s now for whatever future use. You can always re-cut & re-split a/r later.

Yes sir i do. I have access to well over 1000 cord of split 2-3 year seasoned wood for a fair price. I don't have a problem buying a couple years worth of wood if needed.

if you have a basement use a wood boiler,or wood oil boiler.5 to 7 cords a year .nov to apr.2000sq ft house ,72-74 deg. - 24 hours a day.free hot water for showers and washer.8 to 9 hours burn time.why go outside? i have been using the same one 37 years! k

Great idea. I'll research that, thanks.

I forgot to mention it in my original post, but im deff not opposed to putting a unit in my basement either.

...on the NY side of Danbury. For the past 12 years I've had 1 45K btu pellet stove heat my 2750 sq ft house. It's a pain to regulate exact temps and you need an inverter and marine battery or generator in case of a power outage. But at the cost of less than $350 a year, it's been a bargain. I used oil in my first house. Insane costs.

I guess the wood stoves have much of the same issues. House getting hot, waiting for the temp to go low enough to turn back on and those in between nights. Well, it all makes for tougher kids. There is a ZERO chance I will pay 2 or 3 grand a winter ever again.

Not trying to sell you on pellets but agreeing that an alternative is the way to go. We have our next home scoped out and it has 2 fireplaces and 6 acres. I will get a wood and a
pellet insert.

My neighbor has a coal/wood stove hooked up to radiators and it burns cleaner than mine. He uses the wood to get it going. Some good options out there. Choose one and you will never look back.

How do you manage to cut the pellets that small ??

I think the regs on outdoor boilers are the same for all NE states. As I recall, the keys are a 500ft setback from any neighbor and a gasifier. Central boiler makes one and they have dealers in NE but it is a sizable investment. You might be better off with a pellet stove or 2.

Make sure you check the town regulations. I'm in New Fairfield, they aren't issuing anymore permits for OWB till the state comes up with some rulings (Basically the town is just trying to cover their butts). I'm sure the ones that did it with permits will be ok but anyone that just slapped one in the back yards will get screwed.

OWB regs

I think if we ever haver problems with regs,i'll take the shell off the outside and put it down in the cellar or just buy a wood boiler for down there.Its getting to be a big problem in ny,chimny height,seback,ratings etc.with no regs for inside stoves,I'll just go that way.Right now,my nearest neighbor is 1/2 mile away,burns wood so no problem but am prepared for down the road.If I had to buy a new stove,would seriously think of putting it in the house

Latest posts

Back