Allelopathy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question: Could the lack of growth under some conifers, that drop large quantities of needles, be an example of the "mechanisms of the allelopathy phenomenon"

Could be, but quite often that is just shading and acidification. I've seen some very low pH readings in pine duff, and heard of it getting near 4. That would leave a rash!

It is not a broad spectrum herbicide. It effects everything in Solanaceae, alfalfa is another, grasses are not, hostas seem OK.

Norway maple strongly effects most turf grass...

Yes sir, i hear you. Lets split the difference, though.

Too many times we hear or read phrases like: "One of the best examples of allelopathy is the Black Walnut. Few plants and grasses can live nearby this tree." http://www.ces.ncsu.edu/guilford/garden/march8_03.html

This is incorrect because many plants live near, under and even on the black walnut. I've pulled and sprayed under the black walnut every bit as much as any other tree specie on that arboretum.
Those statements referring to the all mighty killing effects of the apex predator that is the Juglans nigra are a little over the top.

With all that said, how much plant material do we see growing under bird feeders containing sunflower seeds?

"Allelopathy is the production of substances by one plant that adversely affect other plants nearby. Roots of black walnut produce substances-juglonines-that inhibit growth of tomatoes and other plants near the tree roots. Ivy (Hedera sp.) may cause a decline of boxwood (Buxus spp.) The substances may leach from leaves, or from the roots." (Shigo)

I think some key words here are "adversely effect"...."inhibit growth"....."cause a decline"....... NOT kill or prevent growth.

Walnuts,sugar maple,black locust,cherry,hackberry,some euc's and sassafras all have strong Alleopathy. Trees produce Alleochemicals in defense of of pest infestation too, many times stress triggers more production of these chemical compounds.

Black Walnut (Juglans nigra) husks are also toxic. They yield a brown dye that is almost indelible if you get it on your hands (or worse around your mouth) and Native Americans sush as the Cherokees use them for fishing. Settlers to used to crush the husks put them in sacks which would be then thrown into creeks. The fish rise in a narcotic state to the surface where they can be scooped up easily in nets.

This practice is now illegal BTW.

Latest posts

Back