Allelopathy

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John Paul Sanborn

Above average climber
Reaction score
Gniazdowska and R. Bogatek
Department of Plant Physiology, Warsaw Agricultural University, Nowoursynowska 159, 02-776 Warsaw, Poland

Received: 1 December 2004 Accepted: 22 February 2005
Abstract Allelopathy is defined as mechanism of plant-plant, plant-microorganisms, plant-virus, plant-insect, and plant-soil-plant interactions mediated by plant- or microorganism-produced chemicals released to the environment. The majority of allelochemicals are secondary metabolites and among others belong to terpenoids, phenolic compounds, organic cyanides and longchain fatty acids. The action of allelochemicals in target plant is diverse and affects a large number of biochemical reactions resulting in modifications of different physiological functions. Thus the results of allelochemical action can be detected at different levels of plant organization: molecular, structural, biochemical, physiological and ecological. Enzyme activities, cell division and ultrastructure, membrane permeability, ion uptake and as a consequence plant growth and development are modified by allelochemicals. Significant effects on photosynthesis and respiration are the best-characterized results of allelopathic interactions. Moreover allelopathic compounds seem to induce a secondary oxidative stress expressed as enhanced free radical production and induction of cellular antioxidant system. Plant survival under allelopathy stress conditions depends on plant defense leading to allelochemical detoxication, the process which may go on in parallel to cell defense reaction to oxidative stress.

The article presents some aspects of the current knowledge regarding mechanisms of the allelopathy phenomenon. The allelopathy is a complex problem, thus comprehensive understanding of allelochemical mode of action requires further investigation and still remains an open question.

http://www.springerlink.com/content/340g611g1pl55p84/

Department of Plant Physiology, Warsaw Agricultural University, Nowoursynowska 159, 02-776 Warsaw, Poland

Abstract Allelopathy is defined as mechanism of plant-plant, plant-microorganisms, plant-virus, plant-insect, and plant-soil-plant interactions mediated by plant- or microorganism-produced chemicals released to the environment. The majority of allelochemicals are secondary metabolites and among others belong to terpenoids, phenolic compounds, organic cyanides and longchain fatty acids. The action of allelochemicals in target plant is diverse and affects a large number of biochemical reactions resulting in modifications of different physiological functions. Thus the results of allelochemical action can be detected at different levels of plant organization: molecular, structural, biochemical, physiological and ecological. Enzyme activities, cell division and ultrastructure, membrane permeability, ion uptake and as a consequence plant growth and development are modified by allelochemicals. Significant effects on photosynthesis and respiration are the best-characterized results of allelopathic interactions. Moreover allelopathic compounds seem to induce a secondary oxidative stress expressed as enhanced free radical production and induction of cellular antioxidant system. Plant survival under allelopathy stress conditions depends on plant defense leading to allelochemical detoxication, the process which may go on in parallel to cell defense reaction to oxidative stress.

The article presents some aspects of the current knowledge regarding mechanisms of the allelopathy phenomenon. The allelopathy is a complex problem, thus comprehensive understanding of allelochemical mode of action requires further investigation and still remains an open question.

I feel it is to be considered, especially in new planting near species known to exhibit strong alleopathic traits. That said; I witnessed a lone Juglans niagra that seemed to have been killed by the grove of oaks shading it out but some other stress must have occurred too.

In layman's terms species put out chemicals to keep other plants from using their turf lol. Seems as if trees are like mob bosses :laugh:

So this is where the term " Turf Wars comes from" LOL. In seriousness that is interesting. Did not realise that this occured. So are there any plants that are more powerful than others? What plants are more affected by this process? What are the signs to look for?

Walnuts,sugar maple,black locust,cherry,hackberry,some euc's and sassafras all have strong Alleopathy. Trees produce Alleochemicals in defense of of pest infestation too, many times stress triggers more production of these chemical compounds.

Last edited:
The allelopathy is a complex problem,

Couple of weeks ago went to a reunion on a 170 acre horse farm in Ky. where they were establishing a quite large Black Walnut orchard. In this perspective allelopathy is a positive capacity. Sometimes a negative is a positive from another perspective in the tree world.

Years ago Black walnuts were planted as a dowry and given to the groom from the wife's family in mass to harvest the lumber for the new couple's future when they saw fit to harvest them.

Starting out I worked the arboretum grounds at the Bartlett Tree lab in Charlotte, NC. I pulled weeds from under a mature Juglans nigra across from the laboratory on a regular basis and cursed the tree for not adhering to the literature! These days I can look back and blame the soil content as high organic matter levels in the soil encourages healthy soil microbial populations that can metabolize toxins.

TV, Trust me, it is appropriate! I aint much to look @.

But... i will say, for the sake of thread discussion, that allelopathy is little overrated, in many cases.

Last edited:
These days I can look back and blame the soil content as high organic matter levels in the soil encourages healthy soil microbial populations that can metabolize toxins.

It is not a broad spectrum herbicide. It effects everything in Solanaceae, alfalfa is another, grasses are not, hostas seem OK.

Norway maple strongly effects most turf grass...

I am not!

attachment.php

Denile I see lol:cheers:

Question: Could the lack of growth under some conifers, that drop large quantities of needles, be an example of the "mechanisms of the allelopathy phenomenon"

Latest posts

Back