Almost...

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lorra

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Some time ago I posted a request to be invited by a local tree service to witness a tree take-down operation. No luck. Since then, I haven't spotted any tree crews in action... till today! Unfortunately, I caught the tail end of it. I was driving and on the other side of the road was a truck---I can't recall the name of the particular machinery on it, but it ended with "120C." I think the name before that had two S's in it. I drove around the corner, parked my car and ran over there and watched. It was a huge claw that was grasping at what was just a huge trunk of a tree left---all the branches had already been removed. The operator was plucking cut portions of the trunk off and lifting and lowering them into his truck. There were logs on the ground as well. Dang, I missed seeing the guys climb up that big tree in the first place. The remainder of the tree was sawed off from the ground in chunks (the man was smoking while he was doing it---I'd like to think that most tree workers are health conscious, but the guy working the 120C had a serious gym body). Then they all took off to somewhere around the corner. I would have followed them to watch their next job, but I had just come from grocery shopping and had perishable food in the car. Maybe next time I'll be luckier.

What a shame Lorra...

Lorra said:
Some time ago I posted a request to be invited by a local tree service to witness a tree take-down operation. No luck. Since then, I haven't spotted any tree crews in action... till today! Unfortunately, I caught the tail end of it. I was driving and on the other side of the road was a truck---I can't recall the name of the particular machinery on it, but it ended with "120C." I think the name before that had two S's in it. I drove around the corner, parked my car and ran over there and watched. It was a huge claw that was grasping at what was just a huge trunk of a tree left---all the branches had already been removed. The operator was plucking cut portions of the trunk off and lifting and lowering them into his truck. There were logs on the ground as well. Dang, I missed seeing the guys climb up that big tree in the first place. The remainder of the tree was sawed off from the ground in chunks (the man was smoking while he was doing it---I'd like to think that most tree workers are health conscious, but the guy working the 120C had a serious gym body). Then they all took off to somewhere around the corner. I would have followed them to watch their next job, but I had just come from grocery shopping and had perishable food in the car. Maybe next time I'll be luckier.

Lorra, I am always impressed with the U.S.A.'s lack of "tall poppy syndrome" and their encouraging each other to bigger and better things and greater heights etc etc yet here it seems it is not the case...

I haven't read your other post/thread where you have asked to see tree workers in action but would say that i have had many, many work experience guys and gals and friends, neighbors and family come watch and at times participate out of sheer curiosity, so I would say never give up mate in your quest, it is admirable that you seek to experience the how, why and what of our tree game...

Keep searching mate...

Ask, and you shall receive...

(Or check out "Ekka's" videos...)

:popcorn:

If I figure out what to say I'll return and say something ... but right now I'm a little lost for words. ;)

:rockn:

heres the original post i believe

http://arboristsite.com/showthread.php?p=428740#post428740

would say that i have had many, many work experience guys and gals and friends, neighbors and family come watch and at times participate out of sheer curiosity,

I as well would have no problems.Heck id even let ya drag some brush if ya liked.Try to give ya that real experience of doin Trees.I also admire your eagerness to learn more and do more.Keep it up.

We took down a huge willow in a front yard last Saturday and the owners and their family or friends set up chairs and sat and watched the whole thing from set up until the last shovel of sawdust was gone. They even invited us to have lunch with them. I guess even though it seems like everyday work to us, most people don't get to see a big tree dismantled.
Phil

almost

I followed the original post and am amazed that you had no takers to show you what's what.

Yes to Ekka's videos - they're awesome.

Also check out treespyders site: http://www.mytreelessons.com/

Sorry you're not closer, I'd be happy to accommodate you. This year the tree work seems neverending (stormy summer).

Lorra said:
crane ride ya?

Latest posts

Back