Alpine Magnum Portable Stump Grinder

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Buy it, mike.

I've had my AM for over 3 years. Only use it for stumps my sub can't do...and now and then for ones I want to do.

As others have said, ,the issue is the easily dulled teeth, though they are better now that Keith is making them in house.

Yeah, but that stump looked pretty rotted to me.. I think I saw the whole thing move a couple of times.

Don't see how you saw the stump move or that it was rotted. If you hit it with a pickax it would have bounced off of it. Anyway, I will upload a video of a freshly cut Manila palm that I ground out with the Alpine. The stump was 3 inches high, 16 inches dia. and went down 12 inches deep. That one had considerably more mass than the hardwood stump which was cut flat to the ground. The Manila palm stump took less than 5 minutes. It should be up on You Tube in a couple of hours.

Don't see how you saw the stump move or that it was rotted. If you hit it with a pickax it would have bounced off of it. Anyway, I will upload a video of a freshly cut Manila palm that I ground out with the Alpine. The stump was 3 inches high, 16 inches dia. and went down 12 inches deep. That one had considerably more mass than the hardwood stump which was cut flat to the ground. The Manila palm stump took less than 5 minutes. It should be up on You Tube in a couple of hours.

Does grinding palms dull the teeth at all?

Also, in order to keep the teeth decent, must you avoid dirt as well as rocks? Or does hitting dirt not make that big of a difference?

OK, it is up on YouTube. Here is the link to my grinding out a freshly cut Manila palm stump. I don't think palm stumps dull the teeth anymore than real trees, but the grindings are real tiny, more like dust. The whole video is 4:48, but the actual grinding is more like 4:30. People who have never actually seen the machine operated by an experienced operator don't think it is possible for it to be as fast as it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CD76t3Bp24

OK, it is up on YouTube. Here is the link to my grinding out a freshly cut Manila palm stump. I don't think palm stumps dull the teeth anymore than real trees, but the grindings are real tiny, more like dust. The whole video is 4:48, but the actual grinding is more like 4:30. People who have never actually seen the machine operated by an experienced operator don't think it is possible for it to be as fast as it is.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1CD76t3Bp24

Impressive work for such a small machine!

I allready have a rayco rg50, but I see the use of such a small machine.

I was wondering, is it a possibility to use the same powerhead both to grind stumps and as a saw, or is the hassle mounting and dissmounting to great? I allready have a ms880 that I dont use to often, so that could be a possibility.

Impressive work for such a small machine!

I allready have a rayco rg50, but I see the use of such a small machine.

I was wondering, is it a possibility to use the same powerhead both to grind stumps and as a saw, or is the hassle mounting and dissmounting to great? I allready have a ms880 that I dont use to often, so that could be a possibility.

The 88 isnt the best unit to use, takes to much work to convert, the 3120xp works better, but would take a bit of time to convert between tasks. I had a very simular idea.

Thanks. Now I at least have one less option to concider :) To much free time in the weekends, so I start playing mindgames with myself in what new machines/tools I "need"

This is a great machine! I know this is an older post but it does now come with two different STIHL powerheads...ts760 and i have the !!!NEW!!! 088 version! It is bad ass and cuts so fast! Now i will tell you it is some work to operate but it gets where others cant and really works fast!

Congrats! Invest in some good anti vibe gloves and think about getting gel tape like you can get for mountain bike handlebars to keep the vibe down. Helps on the longer jobs. If I spend a whole day with mine I might be a grand richer but I feel 5 years older

Latest posts

Back