Alpine Magnum

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superior72

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello I am a new member and was wondering if anyone has a lot of experience using an Alpine Magnum. I am starting a new stump grinding business in my small city with only one other tree company in town and the wait times are very high(in the 2-3 month range) So i have bought a new Alpine as i thought it was the best machine for the backyard work. Any input would be helpful.:D

HI,

Doesnt look like there are too many ppl willing to reply so thought i'd help out :)

I bought an Alpine some time ago 2-3 months i think, I reckon it is a fantastic machine (there isnt a stump that cant be done with it) but the teeth are completly garbage IMHO. You need to be very carefull when grinding and try to dig out as much soil,stones etc as you can be bothered doing,If you do hit a stone,brick etc then you might be lucky in just really badly dulling the teeth or in most cases shattering the tungsten completly leaving the tooth useless:angry:
I've started being replacement tips from a supplier and just retip the teeth myself, the tips last longer and are less then half the price of new teeth.
Let us know what you think about the Alpine.

Thanks

The newer teeth that are being produced by alpine are holding up much better than the teeth that were produced by the old outside vendor. After 10 years of running these units I will tell you there are some tricks to making the teeth last in and around rocks. We grind in rocks every day.

1. As you encounter a rock do not try and crash your way through it, you will only destroy teeth. When you encounter a rock cut down along side of it on both sides, then take the side of the wheel and bump it. The rock will come loose and bounce out of the way.

2. If you know your going to be working in and around rocks put on DULL or ROUNDED teeth. Sharp teeth will shatter much easier than dull teeth.

Hope this helps someone out there, it sure saves us a lot of teeth.

Gordy

I got four sets of teeth when I ordered my machine over a year ago. We have a lot of rocky soil here and they hold up fairly well. I bought the green wheel to sharpened them but never used it. Usually the carbide will come off first.

HI,

The tips im using need a bit of work to be able to use them.They are a 10mm square 4mm thick,once they have been brazed onto the tooth i have to grind them(diamond wheel) to get the right cutting angle on the top and sides.
To make an exact copy of the tooth would require making a plate or something which would mean i would have to order about £2000 worth of teeth to cover the cost:dizzy:
The company i buy the teeth from is in the UK so it may be more cost effective to try and find a source abit closer to home.They make tungsten tips for industrial machines etc so it shouldnt be too hard to find some1 in your part of the world:) If you get stuck just let us know and ill put you in contact with then.

As for the advice from Plyscamp, cheers but evertime I find a rock we stop the machine and dig/pick axe it out, its the ones you dont see that cause the problems :(.

The amount of rock we grind in would have us digging for 10 minutes and grinding for 2 minutes. There is very little flat ground in San Diego. The reason there is so many hills is the rocks hold them together. We even find rocks in the middle of stumps.

Latest posts

Back