Alternate heat source besides wood.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Michael M

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Im looking for a small heat source for a 12 x 16 insulated, elevated hunting cabin/ hangout/ place to go when my wife yells at me. I will of course have a small wood burner to use when I'm there but I am looking for something to keep it like 40 degrees when Im not. It has to have a thermostat, be safe, and not use electricity. Any ideas?

Small wall hanging propane furnace? Like a 15k btu unit.

No Electricity - Yes
Thermostat - Yes
Safe -- ~~~ Up for debate.

Last edited:
Good luck on that one. How often do you plan on being in there? Maybe you should try not to make her mad.:msp_rolleyes:
Short of hauling a propane tank out there I think your best option is to just warm it up when you get there.
If you do find a solution let me know I could use your help because I'm looking for new shoes that allow me to walk on water without sinking. :dizzy:

Small wall hanging propane furnace? Like a 15k btu unit.

No Electricity - Yes
Thermostat - Yes
Safe -- ~~~ Up for debate.

They make them in appropriate sizes for ice fishing houses. They include a low oxygen sensor. I've yet to tip over from using one, but I'm kind of hesitant to take a nap with one going. Could be a long nap...:D

well if you are in the habbit of being in trouble like me then you might have time to do something like this.
HTML:
http://www.alternative-energy-news.info/build-solar-space-heater/
Of course if you take the time to build something like that then you are going to get yelled at anyway so...:buttkick:

buy a nice wall unit and haul up a 60 gal propane tank to keep it above freezing. (hope it's insulated)

View attachment 225958

This thing reminds me of a high school science project I did years ago.
[video=youtube;NveshAa5qpk]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NveshAa5qpk&feature=results_main&playnext=1&list=PL58FB1B922EB25400[/video]
I made a solar oven with a cardboard box, some black construction paper, saran wrap, and aluminum foil. By folding the flaps on the box and covering them with foil to reflect the sun into the bottom of the box which was covered with black paper to turn light into heat and placing clear plastic a couple of inches off the bottom you could put food in a turkey bag and cook on a sunny day. It would take 30 minutes to get a hot dog hot, and I did cook a burger just to prove it could do it, but it took 2 hours. I'm sure that my cheep design could be vastly improved with better materials (say mirrors instead of foil covered cardboard) and a little math to figure optimal angles for the most heat, but the basic concept works.

As with anything solar you still have two major problems to overcome. If you used something like this you would have to have some really good insulation to hold the heat thru the night and it wouldn't produce much heat on cloudy rainy days. In other words solar produces the least amount of heat when you most need it. Being that you are only trying to keep it above freezing you might pull it off, but a long cold snow will sure shut your solar heat down for a while.

This might work a bit without a fan...heat rising and all. You'll need to drink a lot of cheap beer.

[video=youtube_share;QLNViUsRCVU]http://youtu.be/QLNViUsRCVU[/video]

Last edited:
I had an idea for one, never built it, but I am confident it would work if done correctly, based on some earlier experimentation I did.

You have a huge woodchip pile outside. Layered in is high temp rated (well, at least hot rated, my experiments show at least 160 degrees F within *minutes* of the pile being there) fluid pipe, maybe this pek stuff guys here use for their OWBs. Lots of loops back and forth deep in there, it gets warm from conduction (not too much, it needs to keep slow composting to get you some heat, this is a variable and would need to be fine tuned a little..). Now the pipe is run uphill to whatever space needs heated. Closed loop system, using like an antifreeze and water solution. Up there, just some loops around the floor etc, to act as the radiator.

And that's it. The loops of pipe pick up the heat, it gradually starts pumping itself uphill-towards your heated area. You want the part between your stilt cabin and chip pile to be an insulated conduit of some sort, so it doesn't lose heat just outside. Up in your cabin, the pipe loses the insulation and does its radiator action. It radiates off heat, gets colder, and wants to drop back down to the loops inside the chip pile, where the cycle starts again. The principle is called a thermosiphon. It's a completely closed loop thing, no electricity required. It would be better if it radiated off into thermal mass, but seeing as how this is up on stilts or something, I'd skip the 20 tons of like rocks...just saying...

I was going to build one for the greenhouse here, until the big diesel chipper broke...no chips, project on back burner until joe boss gets it fixed, which he claims might happen this year.

Now I have built ones that just used hot air, but I haven't built one using liquids as the heat transfer medium. Same deal though. real common in solar heating designs, I just like the idea of a compost pile better, as it is 24/7. I imagine you could plumb in a temp gauge valve dealie if ya wanted.

Thermosiphon - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I used to be a big alt energy head, but I lost interest in it as a biz because 99% of my fellow countrypersons just don't get it that you can do anything energy related unless it involves petroeum products or nuclear fission. And they also believe insulation has no real value of note, that it isn't as cost effective as just paying more for natga/propane/electric/burning more wood, etc. You can't commute to work unless you have a 500 HP or larger car or truck capable of 150 MPH, etc, etc.

It just got old so I quit. Had some good successes, but.....I dislike arguing stuff like that with folks. Most people are convinced in advance that solar/geothermal/wind etc just "can't work". I've seen it work well, seen solar PV work well, yet people just won't believe it. My insulation work before was jaw dropping amazing..but you can'trconvince people they can cut their heating and cooling costs down to 25% or less of what they are using now. They don't believe it. "Why aren't 'they' doing it then"? Even if you show them references and examples, it still won't stick (for most people, quite a few folks get it, and I've discussed this phenomenon with them they hear the same thing, even from friends and family who can SEE it).

*shrugs*

good luck

There's always kerosene heaters as well as your propane option. Solar heat without massive thermal mass won't work at night, so skip that.

Anyway, got the idea when some friends had a chip pile delivered and I am marvelling at all this free heat coming from the pile, nice and steady, lasts months/years until the composting is finished.

I was going to suggest you sink it 10 feet into the ground, but you said 'elevated' so that's out.

How about 2' of cow manure? That gives off plenty of heat for a LONG time. Maybe change it out every two or three weeks with more fresh stuff. Not only will it keep you toasty with no electricity, but it will encourage you to not make your wife mad enough to send you to the crap-house. I suggest you save your money for some flowers and jewelry to be brought out when needed.

(Unless you're Avalancher, who would strongly recommend a box of chocolates! :msp_ohmy: )

Is this for when you are not there at all? Or just when you are out and your wife is there?

If it's for when you are not there at all, why the need to heat it? We just let ours go cold.

If it's for your wife, just teach her how to keep the stove loaded. Most women are just initially intimidated by it, but if you show them they can do it easily.

Im looking for a small heat source for a 12 x 16 insulated, elevated hunting cabin/ hangout/ place to go when my wife yells at me. I will of course have a small wood burner to use when I'm there but I am looking for something to keep it like 40 degrees when Im not. It has to have a thermostat, be safe, and not use electricity. Any ideas?
Jotul 602 or small box stove.

Some things to search for.... earthtube heating, Biomass ........probably not what you're looking for....

Latest posts

Back