Alternative ways of building a combustion heater

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Boon

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
Am hoping to find useful information on building an alternate way for combustion heater, am currently using a combustion heater....Burning Log Turbo 10 made in Australia.

When I see the method of creating heat & burning the wood it seems to be the easiest way of creating a heater to burn wood but it is not very efficient in use of the heat generated.

Wood simply is burnt in the box below and then travels past a baffle and into the flue.

There must be a way to keep that heat in longer generating more heat.

Any suggestions or links?

thanks in advance

I like the one you have. Looks like a nice stove. Why reinvent the wheel ? Wood heat works for many because of its sheer simplicity. I don't even really need my indoor wood stove as I have an OWB, but I still fire it up often for pure pleasure. Kind of wish it was cold enough for a fire right now !

--the best alternative design for home wood heating I have seen is the "rocket stove "idea. I don't have a build like that, but what I have read on them and from checking out the videos, they seem the best at really getting the most heat from the least amount of wood burnt. A big added bonus to them is..look pretty easy to make at home, no extreme welding, etc required. No big expenses or hassle really, as opposed say to doing a home made owb and installing it.

--the best alternative design for home wood heating I have seen is the "rocket stove "idea. I don't have a build like that, but what I have read on them and from checking out the videos, they seem the best at really getting the most heat from the least amount of wood burnt. A big added bonus to them is..look pretty easy to make at home, no extreme welding, etc required. No big expenses or hassle really, as opposed say to doing a home made owb and installing it.

Thanks for the reply

Have seen this design but from what I saw the fire was fed by sticks or small branches and constantly had to be loaded with wood as it burnt down in a short time. But yes the thing goes like a rocket in fire and wood. Heard it was being used in 3rd world countries for its efficiency.

Thanks for the reply

Have seen this design but from what I saw the fire was fed by sticks or small branches and constantly had to be loaded with wood as it burnt down in a short time. But yes the thing goes like a rocket in fire and wood. Heard it was being used in 3rd world countries for its efficiency.

Well, the thing is..those are all home made designs. if you want one that will hold more wood, a larger fatter piece so it burns slower and lasts longer, I am guessing it can be done. make the combustion chamber how you might want it. And add to the thermal mass, more rock/stone/mud, etc., so the usable heat lasts longer.

A step up is russian masonry construction. A similar idea, make it as large as ya want. No problems with real long burn times with those or using larger pieces of wood.

zogger mentions them and I agree. Do a search for masonry heater. The Masonry heater association of North America has quite a bit of info on them. I think they are a better design the rocket stoves simply because you can put larger wood in them, and close the door to limit smoke-back. Basically the same concept. Burn wood with as much oxygen as it needs. Extract and store the heat in a large thermal mass so it radiates that heat over a longer period of time.

Back