Am I the only person who thinks this could have been avoided?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
There's been some real interesting points raised in this thread.

Just a few weeks back I was talking with a friend about the importance of seeing work being done for young people. I'd been reading something to the effect in a book that lamented the way work has been compartmentalised out of daily life. Traditionally work and family life have been intertwined, with work being done in the home, and in the neighbourhood. Craftsmen, tradesmen and artisans worked locally and in smaller shops, and people could walk by and see the work going on. It's still this way in a lot of countries, but for us it's mostly gone. Industrialisation means that work is done centrally in large factories, and zoning laws put workplaces far from residences. Most suburbs have no work at all done within miles of them. It's against the law.

Seeing work is important for the development of children. Simply witnessing it being done has an effect on them which I'm sure most of us remember having seen people at work when we were younger. I never really noticed that work wasnt going on in suburbs until I read about it, but over the past few weeks driving round it really struck me. It's quite the disconnect. Kids are missing out.

Regarding the accident, it can only be spoken about in the broadest possible terms. I've been involved in incidents that received national coverage and were completely misreported because all the people involved either didnt want to, or were restrained from discussing the matter. Media coverage is the opposite of in depth reporting. With sometimes only a few minutes to research before going to air, and needing to have something to say or fill a column somewhere, reports are often based on 3rd or 4th hand accounts by people who were never there and didnt know but wanted to say something. If someone complains, a correction may be printed in small print on a back page a couple weeks later.

Children should not be near chippers, everyone knows that as I'm sure the father does. As to the circumstances of how the child ended up in the chipper, we can only make the wildest of speculation, and in truth we shouldn't even do that. Parents generally know enough about their kids to make a good prediction about their behaviour. Maybe he thought the kid would stay put and he didnt. Maybe the older kids were supposed to be keeping and eye and they didn't. We'll never know. I cannot bring myself to believe that the father was reckless or careless about the situation, but god help him if he was.

A child is dead, that much is for sure. Beyond that, I wouldn't take any other point in the article(s) as an established fact. The only person who knows for sure is the father, and even he may not know for sure. There are endless blanks that the parents will be filling in, erasing, and filling in for the rest of their lives, long after the media, the corroner, the police and even their relatives and close friends have stopped wondering.

At age 9, I went for a bike ride with my brother who was close to his 7th birthday. We rode down a laneway between some houses on a steep hill and the brakes on his bike weren't working. I yelled at him to jump off but he was too scared to do it. As he reached the bottom of the hill he lost control and ran into a pole, splitting his head open. He died a few minutes later after convulsions, were were alone. As a child it didn't really have a lot of impact on me because children aren't prepared to grieve, but it certainly had an impact on my family. My mother became an alcholic and my father tore himself apart over it. Over the next 3 or 4 years the silence was broken only by arguments. My father eventually left, and at age 14 I had to leave too. Having no responsible guardian to take care of me, I quit high school, lied about my age and took up working. I grew tall young so nobody questioned and life carried on. 25 years later, my mother is stll drowning her sorrows and my father is only just starting to pull his life together.

Shaun

My wife and her Mommy friends are in a firey debate over this on another site. She got Mad at me last night when she asked my opinion.

Obviously I don't think a 6 yr old should be operating a Large wood chipper or any other large pieces of equipment like that, but accidents happen and everything is dangerous under the right circumstances. I don't think that the father felt he was putting his son in danger.

It's so easy for people these days to read a couple paragraphs and start judging and preaching. Could it have been avoided. Yes. That man is probably going through Hell right now and I feel for him.

I've been thinking about buying a used chipper near me. I don't do that much tree work, but a chipper would help.
I've changed my mind, though. I've got seven kids, and I love to have them help me on some of my jobs. I can't imagine a death any worse than a chipper accident, especially for the father watching a child get pulled in.

As for some of you, I think it's pretty sick to gloat over a father's grief because of his stupidity.
Every one of us here has made many stupid mistakes, and once in a while we've learned from them. But I'm not sick in the head like you. I hope people are kinder to you when you make your next stupid mistake, and I hope you grow up and learn some more compassion before opening your mouth again.

If we completely refused to have our kids with us on a job site (of course, that does depend on the job) then how are our kids going to learn anything? I've had my sons help me do roofing, drywall, electrical, tree work, and a host of other jobs. I even had my two older sons (pre-teens) put new roofs on two building on my property - with pneumatic nail guns and unsupervised. Some of you might call me stupid for that, but my boys are being trained to be men who work hard and careful, unlike some of your sons who are fat with strong thumbs from playing video games all day, but don't know how to form a complete sentence.

Last edited:
The way I see it is that I wouldn't mind my kids to be around somewhat dangerous jobs. Youngsters (pre-teens) have done this for centuries in apprenticeships and similar. With that being stated, I would first determine if the child is mature enough for the job or jobsite. I have a couple nephews that I would refuse to have around me when I'm running a chainsaw, combine, large snow blower, etc.

Nevertheless, there are some jobs/equipment that I would keep a six-year-old far from. Children are not permitted in the chemistry labs in which I've worked. I would not permit a six-year-old to be anywhere near a chipper. This is policy and yes, criticism of the parent or person in charge of the safety of the child (could even be a job site foreman). It is not a judgement on a father's value as a human being, overall goodness, or eternal soul. It is constructive criticism. If we who are not directly involved with this family can't share critical thinking about these situations, then these terrible events will happen again. It is how we get our proper safety rules and procedures in the first place.

Last edited:
All I can think of is, sometimes, when I check on my kids at night before I hit the sack (as soon as I'm done putting these meager thougts out on the web) - I see them laying so peacefully in bed and I get a flash of seeing them just like that in a coffin... It freaks the SH*T out of me and I nearly cry every time.

This family won't have the need for a coffin... just a 60# bag of tissue. THAT makes me want to cry too.

I love my kids.

"At age 9, I went for a bike ride with my brother who was close to his 7th birthday. We rode down a laneway between some houses on a steep hill and the brakes on his bike weren't working. I yelled at him to jump off but he was too scared to do it. As he reached the bottom of the hill he lost control and ran into a pole, splitting his head open. He died a few minutes later after convulsions, were were alone. As a child it didn't really have a lot of impact on me because children aren't prepared to grieve, but it certainly had an impact on my family. My mother became an alcholic and my father tore himself apart over it. . . . "

Losing a child is so difficult because it goes against all that we think about the "natural order" of things; that is, we think we should die before our children do. It hurt when my dad died about five years ago, and it's still painful, but it is not an unbearable pain: he was a good man & he taught me a lot of life lessons in his years on this earth. However, to lose one of my children would be a horrendous pain, particularly if it was a result of something I did (or didn't do). I had a professor in college who, a number of years earlier, had accidentally backed over his own young child in the family's driveway. This professor had grown up in PA working in the coal mines to put himself through school; he was a good man; he spoke seven languages & could read 10-15 different languages; he dedicated his life to the college where he was a professor. But his "mistake"/accident caused him unbearable grief for the rest of his life. I don't know how I would react if one of my children were to die, but I'm sure I would be emotionally torn up just as your mother & father were. . . .

This entire situation is just horribly sad. I can not imagine having my 6 year old grandchild anywhere near a wood chipper. No matter how much we may believe that we know our children's behavior, there's too many variables to even try to predict what a first grader will do. My heart hurts for the family. I'm sure the dad would do anything to change the few seconds before it happened. Hopefully we all can use this as a reminder to keep children/untrained/irresponsible people out of harm's way. I pray that I never see another tragedy such as this again.

Lets remember that a child died here.

No child should die this young. Any parent will tell you that it is their worst nightmare. Also remember that accidents happen even with the most aware and prepared people. But sometimes crazy things happen. Just a few days ago I had to grab my 4 year old off of a third story apartment ledge. One minute he was playing on the porch and the next he was climbing over the railing. Me only being a few feet away and seeing him climbing it was a very quick moment ending in a 4 year old crying because daddy wont let him have fun. But if my back was turned and his balance was off it could have been me being the one crying and for much longer than the 2-3 minute fit my son pitched.

Now we don't have all the facts so let's not rush to judgement. If this is a case of a 6 year old "just wanting to be like daddy" and Dad having his back turned at the wrong moment, then yes this is a tragic accident. The way the story reads it sounds like this was not the case though. Now if the dad told the kid to throw that limb into the chipper then yes he deserves every bit of the pain he is in now (although the kid certainly didn't deserve to die.) I had a job working for a tree service when I was 23. I worked there 2 days and quit after seeing the way those guys treated the chipper (and all the other dangers on the job site) with no thought to safety. I have ran chainsaws all my life and know how they respond and how to react but with that chipper I was scared. Not many things scare me but cutting a leg off from being snagged by a branch in a chipper will make me wet my pants. So as a dad myself I can certainly agree with the guys saying any dad that will let their kid near a chipper is an idiot.

But I am also reminded of how the media likes to twist things either to sale papers or to suit the reporter's (or editor's) own personal agenda. I once worked for a company were I delivered to a place that treated atomic waste. One day a tractor-trailer hauling radioactive waste was hit pulling into the facility. The car struck the truck in the fuel tank and diesel was leaking on the road. It was a fairly minor accident, no one was hurt, but both vehicles had to be towed. And because of the diesel spill a haz-mat cleanup crew had to come out and remove diesel from the road and ditch. Of course you can imagine what the local media wanted to run as the story. Even if they told the truth the headline could still read "HAZ-MAT cleanup crew dispatched to RADIOACTIVE accident site" and scare the crap out of people.

All that said any loss of a 6 year old is bad and no parent should ever go thru that.

Latest posts

Back