American Elm - DED - Arbotect

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

acmpls

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
Hello, I have a nice big American elm in my backyard that somehow hasn't been taken by Dutch Elm Disease yet (many of the elms in my SW Minneapolis neighborhood are gone). I got a quote from Rainbow Treecare of $600 to protect it with Arbotect, guaranteed for 3 years (refundable if tree gets DED w/in 3 years). This is a nice tree and would hate to lose it, however I'm going back to school this fall and money is tighter than ever. Do I have any other options? Is this price reasonable? I searched through the history and it seems there is general agreement that Arbotect works and is worth it.

Thanks in advance for any input.

I would definately have it treated.
It's gonna be a lot cheaper to treat it than have it removed.

Ed

Last edited:
As nice as that tree is I would spend the money to protect it. Not many left around here that look that nice.

Hello, I have a nice big American elm in my backyard that somehow hasn't been taken by Dutch Elm Disease yet (many of the elms in my SW Minneapolis neighborhood are gone). I got a quote from Rainbow Treecare of $600 to protect it with Arbotect, guaranteed for 3 years (refundable if tree gets DED w/in 3 years). This is a nice tree and would hate to lose it, however I'm going back to school this fall and money is tighter than ever. Do I have any other options? Is this price reasonable? I searched through the history and it seems there is general agreement that Arbotect works and is worth it.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Preventative rate is something like 10+ milliliters per inch of dbh. A gallon of the chemical costs over a thousand dollars. Your tree will consume a goodish portion of that gallon and the company has labor costs. $600 sounds like a fair deal. They also are willing to give you a 3 year gaurantee. Thats a gamble considering the nature of the disease.

You asked for options: Call your local Bartlett Tree office and look into their "go to" treatment using Alamo. They do use Arbotect as well. Perhaps they can save you some money, either way.
good luck

Last edited:
Back