an epic journey (installing a OWB)!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I dont think there is any difference in the pex pipe in my house except the potable water is all blue pex and the hot water heat is red pex.

I have baseboard heat in my house, radiant heat would have cost me a few thousand more due to the extra pipe and installation work I guess. Baseboard heat is great heat, my house is 74 all the time and with a nice humidity, my asthma is the best it has been in years since I moved in. The only thing with baseboard heat is to make sure you know the amount of square inches of heating surface you need to properly heat your house. If you dont have enough surface to radiate the heat your pump will be running all the time in the house.

You are smart to go with some form of hot water heat though, its very easy to plumb the boiler to the house and the heat transfer rate is much higher

On the inside of the house your going to want to run your main line into a T to go to two different manifolds to control your first floor and second floor.
do you mean a 3 way zone valve? would this control the heat flow for upstairs, first floor and basement? i seen these on the CB downlable manual. i seen the cast iron manifolds on there but couldnt see how they control how the heat should go?

here is how i am guessing the water lines should go?

OWB to
1 inch PEX lines to
3 way zone valve with 24 volt transformer to
firstfloor, second floor and basement to
T's that go into the return.

im still not sure if it would save me a little cash to just run the PEX all along the floor rather than running baseboard heaters on the first floor?

The only thing with baseboard heat is to make sure you know the amount of square inches of heating surface you need to properly heat your house. If you dont have enough surface to radiate the heat your pump will be running all the time in the house.
so the pump on the back of the OWB doesnt actually "pump" the water IN the house just TO the house? im sort of confused here?
i guess i need more reading and researching.

do you mean a 3 way zone valve? would this control the heat flow for upstairs, first floor and basement? i seen these on the CB downlable manual. i seen the cast iron manifolds on there but couldnt see how they control how the heat should go?

here is how i am guessing the water lines should go?

OWB to
1 inch PEX lines to
3 way zone valve with 24 volt transformer to
firstfloor, second floor and basement to
T's that go into the return.

im still not sure if it would save me a little cash to just run the PEX all along the floor rather than running baseboard heaters on the first floor?

so the pump on the back of the OWB doesnt actually "pump" the water IN the house just TO the house? im sort of confused here?
i guess i need more reading and researching.

The pump on the OWB is only for pumping water to the house and back usually. You need a second pump in your house controlled by the thermostat and relay to cycle on and off and pump the water through your in house system. Otherwise you would have 180 degree water in your lines all the time and your house would be about 120 inside lol.

You also need a water/water heat exchanger for your domestic hot water, a water/water heat exchanger for the house heat, 1" PEX crimping tool (good ones are $100) and a bunch of other stuff I cant remember right now

Latest posts

Back