Analyzing 54" dbh white oak

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
treeseer said:
Excellent solution. :rock: I'd like to do this with every borderline tree. Since the owner is a town councillor, they will come.
If the tree stays, it is not a solution, a solution means something is solved. If it stays, it will be a problem for someone else, later, that is if it doesn't fail or partialy fail in the meantime. Borderline trees should be cut down, borderline meaning a 50/50 go or stay option, err on the side of caution. Borderline indead, the old saying "when in doubt..." not much doubt on this one, fire up the saws, let people sleep easier.

clearance said:
If the tree stays, it is not a solution, a solution means something is solved.
A decision is a solution to the question of what to do with the tree. Not all solutions involve a basal cut.
"when in doubt..." not much doubt on this one, fire up the saws, let people sleep easier.
"...cut it out" is the utility matra I got so sick of hearing when I cleared lines. :deadhorse: It has NO place in residential arboriculture, where "If you don't know, let it grow" fits much better.

I recommend that borderline trees can be mitigated and retained all the time, and everyone sleeps well. If anyone stays up at night worrying about trees falling, they need a shrink, or more awareness of other problems in the world, or more nookie. :clap:

Last edited:
Borderline trees are always safe, no one is ever killed by trees, they never fall onto houses, its all good, don't worry people, just drink some kool-aid, take some valium, see Dr. Freud. Borderline trees can be mitigated and kept standing for all eternity, trust the nice arborist man little girl, he knows best, hey Treeseer, do you have a bunch of P.O.S. trees leaning over your house?

One step at a time...

Let us "Agree to disagree." We have life-times of experience and knowledge, and want to make sure others decisions are made correctly using all of the information we share with them.

This particular tree has many tree around it - I would have liked to get a more "isolated" picture of it, but every time I backed up in a different direction, another tree blocked my view. This is one reason, my opinion, that the tree hasn't failed. I believe this tree, if standing alonn in a field somewhere, would have failed already.

Some tree person has been involved with this tree for many years. Cables, cement (don't laugh, knowledgable people thought this a good solution many years ago) pruning, etc. I can see what has been done, but don't have the reasoning behind it. Perhaps the city could look into past records to see if there are records on this tree. The side-walk was recfigured to go around the tree many years ago, so efforts had been made to preserve the tree far before I showed up.

I am going to take the next step and physically show others waht we "see".
I will use my independent and objective judgement to make proper comments, and then I believe the correct decision will be made.

One more point to remember; I am being paid to do "just-so much" If either or both parties want more, then I will bring on the calvary. I am already giving them a very good deal on what they are receiving. I get paid well, but will receive more for additional time (i.e meeting from the tree.) Hopefully they will want to do this.

Thanks again.

Good plan, gopher.

I have about hundreds of trees near my house, and they all have some kind of defect. Can you please tell us exactly what defines a POS, besides whatever tree you're looking at when a saw is in your hand and buzz money is there for the picking?:monkey: ?

Definition outside my realm, go to...

I believe the definition you are looking for cannot be found in Webster's. Although I did take one down over my roof this winter, as I had reached the end of my "comfort" zone with the tree. This was the same basswood that three years earlier my then 5-1/2 and 7 year olds came carrying over to the burn pile a 4 inch diameter, 20 foot long limb that fell while they were playing near there. I asked them, "Where'd you find that?" They proceeded to show me, and I thought, "Hmmm, and I was just in that tree; must've missed that one..."

We all know there are infinite levels of acceptance. Some live where mudslides are a given. Others live where hurricanes are frequent; yet others in flood prone areas. Are any of us right or wrong?

I will be calling the City tomorrow (Tuesday the 30th) attempting to set up the "Tree podium meeting", and of course discuss my additional fees. I'll keep you posted.

Remember that today is Memorial Day, and that we are able to freely have this conversation, and while some of us may live in higher crime areas than others, most of us can drive to town for beer and eats without wondering if the car is going to blow-up...

what if any was the outcome

I was looking for information on cabling inspection scheduals and found your post Gohpher

Back