anchor hitch with zigzag

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

intreezzz

Reaction score
I plan to get another climbing rope with a sewn eye in the near future but for now I have been putting a oval biner between the anchor hitch and zigzag with seemingly good results testing close to the ground. Does anyone see any danger in this setup? Thanks for any answers in advance. 20140617_182452.jpg

I second Hoowasat on loosing the second 'biner.
I can't recall where I've read it, but I think you're not supposed to link two 'biners together for any life-support application. Might even be an ANSI regulation ...
Also, there could be a wear issue on one or both of the 'biners if you're going to use it for some time and/or put a lot of weight on it.
I have never used a zigzag, but it looks to me (from your pic) that even without the oval your anchor hitch should stay clear of the zigzag.

What the crap dude, what are you gaining from the extra biner?? Daisychaining carabiners is against industry standards and manufacturer recommendations.
I'd just tie a fisherman's knot into the carabiner and attach it to the device like you're meant to.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Tapatalk

Thanks guys great advice. The owners manual shows it being used with a rope with a tight eye. It also shows any type knot tied to the caribiner down low could possibly, accidentally hit the release on the top of the chain sending the little man on a wild ride to the ground. I think at that moment I was trying to find anything to keep the knot farther from the release. Problem solved . I have a hank of 24 strand Yale with a tight eye on order. More fitting for the zigzag. The 16 stand hivee is like riding on a bumpy dirt road anyways. I am also aware of the more links in a chain the higher the probability of failure back from my cavediving days.

Back