Anchor point position change Ultrasling

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

felixm

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
I´ve spliced a few Ultraslings including Antal rigging rings in the past.
How do you handle the position change for negative stem rigging effectively?
At the moment most often I´m pulling out the rope (due to a large metal inlay spliced eye on one side of my rope) completely, hang it on my harness, loose the chocking sling and change position.
Afterwards completely new install. Nearly fool proof but pulling through the whole line costs time.

Do you have any way for a faster advancing other than using a soft spliced eye and pulling through only the working end?

for rings a soft eye splice or no splice is basically mandatory, or keep pulling the whole rope through
I suggest getting a block that opens to install the rope, I actually used a screwdriver to pop the rings out of my ring slings so I could install blocks on them without splicing all new slings

I´ve spliced a few Ultraslings including Antal rigging rings in the past.
How do you handle the position change for negative stem rigging effectively?
At the moment most often I´m pulling out the rope (due to a large metal inlay spliced eye on one side of my rope) completely, hang it on my harness, loose the chocking sling and change position.
Afterwards completely new install. Nearly fool proof but pulling through the whole line costs time.

Do you have any way for a faster advancing other than using a soft spliced eye and pulling through only the working end?

You shouldn't quite be having that problem, presuming that I understand the question correctly.

Presuming that all the main branches are out of the way, pull the ring out of the triple brummel/loop on the ultra-sling and allow the bull rope to follow it. At that point, you can just work the assembly down the tree to your next stopping point. Using this method even retains the rig around the diameter of the spar, thereby removing steps. NOTE: you obviously cannot get this to work if the tree diameter increases enough to prevent using the same choker setting on your ultra-sling.

Now that "large metal inlay spliced eye" will continue to be a problem, provided you cannot do without that part.
You might consider traditional rigging using a stillson, cow-hitch, or timber hitch, according to your preference. You could be untying that rig while your groundies are still untying the log below.

The rigging block suggested by Zintrees is a good workaround, too.

Why are you so fond of that "large metal inlay spliced eye"? That sounds to me like you are relying upon attachment with a carabiner at the end of the rigging rope. That's not the best idea, and you may find that learning to tie reliable knots at the top isn't really that difficult. Put a good marl beneath your loop & carabiner, lose the metal eye, and use a stronger knot when the logs get too big to be safe without a proper knot at the end.

Thanks a lot for both of your answers!
My thoughts were too complicated :)

The metal inlay is only on an unused rigging rope I've got, the next one will have either a spliced or flush cut end.

I will now use the flush end of the existing rope for the moment. Also have blocks, so all options are open.

Latest posts

Back