Ancient Coast Live Oak Death Sentence?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If I get the go ahead to try and save this tree with UV light treatment therapy inside the cavity, I will take far greater efforts to record the process by video and post my results in this thread.
Great, thanks! here's a book review that describes a bit of what Sean talked about. also a before pic of what looks like G applanatum in 3 crevices; i have no doubt the decay goes end to end tho post oak is tough so excavation only went so far. the mere presence of decay is not a death sentence if the decay process is familiar to the assessor.

Suggest you clear out moore rot and get a better look before judging. That tearout wound looks very bad, but I applaud your willingness to work with this tree. The 5X System:
Expose
Excavate
Examine
)repeat as necessary)
Excise living tissue per need for analysis or treatment
Extract

idn't hear much from the video but looks like good job of reducing while keeping natural form. Keep up the good work!

Thanks for the wood decay studies Treeseer, and the advice.

But we both know what my recommendation report will readlike.

Extremely hazardous tree with extensive Ganoderma lucidum heartrot throughout it's hollow interior. Immediate removal recommendation(see attached lab report).

Experimental option can only be done if the site can be rigorously controlled and hazard warning signage is established and maintained around the tree's perimeter.

So on and so forth.

What really struck me today is how huge that center cavity really is, and how deceptively healthy this tree must've appeared before that windstorm opened the door to an inner chamber of decay and undermining of structural integrity. The chamber itself, if opened up a bit with a chainsaw, is plenty spacious enough for a grown man to crawl into.

A fantastic tree to try and save no doubt, but only after a very sobering deliberation of it's realistic chances of survival are conducted, along with a cost to benefit analysis statement presented to the owner.

Has anyone noticed how little media attention is being payed to the millions of trees that have died recently on the west coast and portions of the midwest? Heck across the whole country it seems. They say that just about every lodgepole pine in the state of CO is dead, along with about 1/3rd of their aspen trees, starting in the lower altitude groves.

If the health of our trees is any measure of our health as a society? I'd say we're in a spot of trouble of late.

jomoco

Back