"...and on the seventh day God created..."

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nothing happened to the cylinder. You must be thinking of the original carb, which I ruined.

Yeah...my mistake...was thinking $$ for replacement OEM cylinder...:blush:
As always...thanks for your patience and tolerance of an old man!!
....suffering from CRS......(Can't Remember *hit syndrome)...
It grows on ya!!
:cheers:
J2F

In reply to what Brad wrote I have a muffler modded Husky 353 (same chassis as a 346XP, just a bit less poke) and a stock MS261.

There are more to just paper specs on these saws and some may think I've done a backflip like Brad but here it is.

THROTTLE RESPONSE!!!

The MS261 is like an MS660 in a smaller chassis. Heaps of torque, does everything reliably, but without really blowing your socks off. I think the 261 is more suited to 20" bars and firewood cutting. My 353 has the zip and snappiness of my modded 390XP's which impress me. It also sounds like a little Hotrod now with the muffler mod.

Despite all the modern blah blah on the 261 I can't help but think I'd probably lean towards a 346XP as well. If I was just dropping a saw into logs for firewood then MS261 all the way.

Hi Sawtroll :cheers: I'll know you'll have a field day with my apparent backflip :D Since I modded the muffler on my little 353 the 261 has hardly been used - except for when I lost a muffler bolt out of the 353 and was waiting for a new one.

I still don't like the Husky's outboard clutch though :(

put her to work

I think I'll drop a big old elm that died a couple years back close to the edge of the woods with Johny Red 2171; hook a logging chain to it and pull it out with my Ford with the ecoboost and started limbing her up with the new Husky 346. Not sure if I should mod the muffler or not -I hear both yeah and neah from you guys. Sawtroll, I bought it from Alamia.com -best prices I have found. Looks like I better search the threads for setting it up properly.

I agree whole heartedly on putting a 20" bar on a MS261 for firewood, but then why buy a 50 cc saw in the first place? I tried one with a 16" bar and it was like having a fat kid insist that you hold him up and play airplane with him -extremely tiring.
Stihl guys Talk Impressive, Husky Live-it!!!:laugh:

Last edited:
I think I'll drop a big old elm that died a couple years back close to the edge of the woods with Johny Red 2171; hook a logging chain to it and pull it out with my Ford with the ecoboost and started limbing her up with the new Husky 346. Not sure if I should mod the muffler or not -I hear both yeah and neah from you guys. Sawtroll, I bought it from Alamia.com -best prices I have found. Looks like I better search the threads for setting it up properly.

I agree whole heartedly on putting a 20" bar on a MS261 for firewood, but then why buy a 50 cc saw in the first place? I tried one with a 16" bar and it was like having a fat kid insist that you hold him up and play airplane with him -extremely tiring.
Stihl guys Talk Impressive, Husky Live-it!!!:laugh:

Ain't that a crock O' bull. :D

Back