And the hits just keep on comin'...!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thombat4

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Yet another awesome craigslist firewood ad...

http://cleveland.craigslist.org/grd/2116767368.html

The ad reads:
We just put down our large RED OAK TREE. Perfect for Firewood. I am selling by the whole (trunk) , unless you want it precut, then we can do that as well. Call ahead of time. Asking $65 for one whole piece of trunk. Wont last long! Paul (440) 521-9597. Dimensions are as follows; trunk is about 4 ft in diameter and precut to 12-18inch pieces in length.

65 bucks for a trunk round??? Are you kiddin'...?

The ad is confusing. Is he selling the whole trunk (as stated in the first part) or if you want it cut he'll cut it up? I'm thinking he wants $65 for the whole thing, which could have a cord or two in it depending on length.

Tell him you'll cut it up for 100$ and split for another $50 and if he wants it hauled out another 100$

trunk is about 4 ft in diameter and precut to 12-18inch pieces in length.

Hmmm....4ft diameter, by avg 16" length if they could cut straight, equals a half rick once ya split it into 3" triangles. Once dried, and bundled into .75 cubic feet bundles and sold along the road for $4 each that's a 100%+ profit. Better than maddoff math.

i see ads like that on CL around here a bit. the best one was 1 cord of "seasoned" firewood, unsplit rounds for $125. I almost fell out of my chair. The wood looked like it was rotting from the pictures they put up with it, and it was half a cord max.

sounds like they hired pros to drop the tree and wanted to save some money by not having it removed.

they anticipate recovering their costs by selling the wood. too many people think their trees are worth a fortune.

Back