angle question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

magna19

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
noodling up some pieces of hardwood and pine, what is a good angle for the cutters? got 1 @30 and 1 @ 10. both seem to cut ok, even the 10 cuts decent.

other question, for normal cutting best angle for both hard and soft wood.

Are you asking about top plate angles ?

I havent used anything @ 10 degrees top plate, but I usually set 60 and 30 on my 511A. Lately I have been cutting some BIG red and white oak trees and was playing around with 55 and 25 and I think it cuts better.

I set the head ( down stroke) at 65 and run 25 across. This seems to work well for me and my customers. The 65 down keeps from getting such a deep hook in the cutters and the 25 rather than 30 means the cutters are not so pointy which dulls out faster. (although some like real pointy cutters) this on 511AX units. As 80% of the units out there are of this design or a clone should work well for most everyone. I have used these grind settings on all my units from my little pole saw up through my 80cc units.
The other key is to use the proper sized wheel for the chain, properly dressed. full sized 3/8 and 3.25 = 3/16 smaller 1/2 sized 38 and similar =1/8, pico = 3/32 404=1/4 ,just rough suggestions
For the depth gauges I use an old Foley 305 ( i think that's the #) with the head set over to match the rise of the depth gauges rather than flat grinding them ( note that these units ( all 3) allow for the vise to move fore and aft to keep wheel centered on the area to be ground) 1/4" wheel width dressed to give a rounded shape to depth gauge (close to oem style).
I will try to get some pics up later as I am not at shop at present.

Back