another 015L question and some great news

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1hander

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
so i was assembling the cylinder and case ... and i noticed that with the crank and bearings in the case..dring assembly..that even if i push down on the cylinder as hard as i can to seat the journal bearings..that the cylinder still rocks on the bearings quite a bit...there must be a .017-.025 thousandths gap between the surface of the base and the bottom of the cylinder surface...

have you guys noticed this during a bearing change or reassembling the halves back together...im thinking theres no way the journal bearings are not going to be pressed out of round and cause a binding issue on the crank journals..

i did not sand on either of the two surfaces when removing the sealant..the only way to not pinch the journal bearings would be to either make a gasket to take up some of the gap or bolt the cylinder and case back together and use the mill to rebore the bearing pockets on center and of course leave a .001 to .002 interference to clamp the bearings sufficiently

the service manual mentions nothing about heating the halves or anything like that to maybe get some expansion before bolting in place..

only thing i can think is that someone put a different cylinder on it before i got my hands on it.

i was getting some oil and files in preparation for getting this saw finished and cutting..and the new owner of the shop i went to turned out to be an old friend..i mentioned i was rebuilding an 015 and 08s and the diffivulty in finding parts...and he walked away and came back with two orange cases and opened them up, they both had saws in them and were half filled with water....and he said....YOU MEAN LIKE THESE ..i said yes just like those...he said if you can use the parts you can have em.i coudnty believe it,. i got a free cases and a free 015l and 08s ..complete with rusty bars..and chains.

HOLY COWZZZZ....so i competed my purchase and hurried home..the 015 was missing the carb..so i tested compression..the 015l had 127 (so ill be rebuilding that ) and the 08s had 162(i wonder if somebody messed with this, it seems kinda high) psi compression..i put the rebuilt carb from my 015l on the it and the damn thing fired and ran.. AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH... i was jumping up and down...i showed my son how to sharpen and tension the chain and tune the carb..we took it into the alley and cut up a smallish tree that had fallen in a storm..little sucker ran for about an hour then the primary winding in the coil died..

the 08s i had to soak the chain to free it up, the clutch shoes were rusted to the hub..the carb and crank case was full of water, i cleaned everything out and freed the clutch and cleaned it a bit.. cleaned out the carb and blew it out..put in a used diaphragm from the old parts i took out og the other 08s im rebuilding...and again the sucker fired..but i had to replace the crank seals , put it back together and he sharpened the chain tuned the crab and that SOB rips..man i cant believe my luck...mostly cuz if it werent for bad i wouldnt have any..so now i got another saw to restore..anyway just wanted to share that with you guys.

any insight to the 015L problem above is much appreciated

Latest posts

Back