another black walnut question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hungrybare

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Just another question about black walnut logs, I know there are many different answers to this, but I just want to get a couple opinions as to what you guys would sell these logs for? They are green, blew down in the storm last august.
One is 12 feet and measures 18 inches on one end and 19 on the other. The smaller one is 9 feet and measures 15 inches on one end and 16 on the other. They are straight and smooth, no branches. I had two about the same size but not straight with some squirrels nesting in one. The guy wanted them for turning and carving so they went for 100.00 ea. I guess all I want is slightly more than firewood price. I would like to see them go to someone that can make use and have fun with
129_3935_zps94013d5f.jpg

I own a sawmill, and I wouldn't pay more than $40 to 50 for the pair. Maybe less, if the unseen sides are as bad as what I can see. They don't appear to be high quality from here. Maybe you can get lucky again, and find another person willing to pay lumber prices for logs.

I'm really not looking for lumber prices, and I don't mind cutting and splitting it for firewood. I'd just rather see it go to someone that wants to have some fun with it and if I could get firewood price we both would happy. With the measurements I gave I'm sure there is a formula for converting to face cord firewood. I'll do some more checking.

Figure the large one is 1100-1200 lbs, the second is about 750 lbs green weight. Call it 1900 lbs total. A cord of Black Walnut is listed as 5200 lbs green weight. So you have just under 3/8 of a full cord or just over a face cord in the two logs. Does that help?

Thanx, that does help, I didn't know you could measure a cord by weight. I always thought volume measurements. Learn something new every day

Thanx, that does help, I didn't know you could measure a cord by weight. I always thought volume measurements. Learn something new every day
A cord of wood is a simple if somewhat imprecise measure of wood. It is the amount of wood that can be stacked into a 4 foot X 4 foot X 8 foot space. Usually contains 70 to 90 cubic feet of wood stacked in 128 cubic feet of space. The average weight of a given type of wood is easily measured so an approximate weight of a cord of that wood can be estimated.

My past experience is that the tree has to be 20" just to start to be used for anything of value.

Thanx for all the info guys, I guess its not worth any more than any other hardwood firewood, unless someone wants it for carving or turning.

I own a sawmill, and I wouldn't pay more than $40 to 50 for the pair. Maybe less, if the unseen sides are as bad as what I can see. They don't appear to be high quality from here. Maybe you can get lucky again, and find another person willing to pay lumber prices for logs.
guessing the imperfections might work real good for turning or maybe a guy band sawing to gun stocks

I would mill them, just not pay too much for them. From what I can see in the picture, you probably could get 125-175 bf of usable lumber. Maybe 50 bf of that will be nice. Of course there is also a chance that they yield almost no usable lumber .

It's worth what someone is willing to pay for it. Get what you can. A couple black walnut logs aren't that easy to come by. But someone needs to load haul and mill them. Not everyone has access to the equipment needed for that.

I think $50 would be a very generous offer. If they were mine I'd turn them into firewood or give them away.

Walnut makes pretty lousy firewood and finished black walnut lumber brings nearly $8/bf. I would think for someone who is making a a high value turned object paying $200 for good raw material is no big deal if he can make a couple thousand selling turned bowls

Walnut makes pretty lousy firewood and finished black walnut lumber brings nearly $8/bf. I would think for someone who is making a a high value turned object paying $200 for good raw material is no big deal if he can make a couple thousand selling turned bowls
If only it were that easy........

I wish I could give away wood. We run a full time tree service and give away firewood whenever possible, give away all the mulch too. I've tried advertising to give the stuff away to turners and wood workers and had very little interest. A few guys that wanted maybe one small block. There's a big difference between a log and finished lumber, and very little of the difference is the milling. It's mostly in the drying, storing and marketing. You'd need to take a good look at those logs to see what sort of quality they were, percentage of hardwood/sapwood, ring count/density, and other imperfections. The log in the foreground has a fork in it, so about 1/3 of that is already not making grade and looks like it has a scar about mid way. The background log has a hump about 1/3 of the way back, so it's unlikely to be clear timber. The other issue is that the (very) few people interested in taking a log or two like this generally have no means of picking it up/transporting it.

I wish I could give away wood. We run a full time tree service and give away firewood whenever possible, give away all the mulch too. I've tried advertising to give the stuff away to turners and wood workers and had very little interest. A few guys that wanted maybe one small block. There's a big difference between a log and finished lumber, and very little of the difference is the milling. It's mostly in the drying, storing and marketing. You'd need to take a good look at those logs to see what sort of quality they were, percentage of hardwood/sapwood, ring count/density, and other imperfections. The log in the foreground has a fork in it, so about 1/3 of that is already not making grade and looks like it has a scar about mid way. The background log has a hump about 1/3 of the way back, so it's unlikely to be clear timber. The other issue is that the (very) few people interested in taking a log or two like this generally have no means of picking it up/transporting it.

agree with what you say but I have seem turnings that have included bark, knotholes and other wood defects that can't go in finished lumber, sometimes as the focus point of the piece. Guess if both parties are happy that's really all that matters

Back