Another Bullet Biter

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rayvil01

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Every year for the past five years, come winter I've been lusting after a new saw. I've been running a Poulan Pro 375 since I bought it new 15+ years ago. It's still kicking (with a lot of cannibalized parts from an ebay rig.) What I wanted was a saw that was big enough to tackle the big wood I occasionally stumble into, and do a little milling. Every now and then I'll get a piece of wood I'd like to mill.

I've been reading this forum for a few years. The information here is tremendous. Thanks to the kind posters here I learned about Dolmar saws, did some research...and was smitten. Brought home a 7900 yesterday. What a super unit that saw is! I looked at Huskys and Stihls...they're both fine brands. But, this Dolmar won me over with the power, the engineering...and the light weight. I caught the dealer in a Christmas mood, to boot.

I ran one whole tank of gas through it yesterday bucking logs. All I could saw was "Wow!"

So, thanks for all the information. Much appreciated. I do have two questions (at the moment), I have a 24" bar. If I buy the Granberg 24" mill I can cut what width? Bailey's site says it takes a 28" bar to cut 24" with the mill. I'm thinking that means a 24" bar will cut 20"...but, got confused on that along the way. It also appears that one has to drill the bar for that rig. Any tricks to that?

Thanks again,
Rayvil01

Good for you congratulations!! I looked at the Dolmars too and they look like they are well engineered the big decision breaker for me was I wanted over 90cc's I know Makita had a saw DCS something or other that was over 90cc's Railomatic reccomended it on one of his posts. I think its made by dolmar but I couldn't find one around here or on ebay. Anyway the Dolmars look nice and put together well!! Congratulations and Merry Christmas!

So, thanks for all the information. Much appreciated. I do have two questions (at the moment), I have a 24" bar. If I buy the Granberg 24" mill I can cut what width? Bailey's site says it takes a 28" bar to cut 24" with the mill. I'm thinking that means a 24" bar will cut 20"...but, got confused on that along the way. It also appears that one has to drill the bar for that rig.
Welcome to AS... you are apparently already addicted, so join the club.

Correct, you lose between 4 and 6 inches mounting the saw onto the csm. Get a 36 inch granberg, the few extra bucks will be well spent the first time you encounter a large log and wish you had a bigger rig. No drilling into the bar for the granberg, it clamps to the mill tightened down with bolts.

Welcome to AS... you are apparently already addicted, so join the club.

Correct, you lose between 4 and 6 inches mounting the saw onto the csm. Get a 36 inch granberg, the few extra bucks will be well spent the first time you encounter a large log and wish you had a bigger rig. No drilling into the bar for the granberg, it clamps to the mill tightened down with bolts.

what woodshop said, welcome.

the Dolmars do look like great saws, enjoy!!

Back