Another Crane Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

9th year rookie

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
Many of the larger companies around here (MA) use a crane (boom truck) for large takedowns. I've watched the operation from about 5 ro 6 different companies. Climber ties into hook, cranes locates climber to attach next cut to crane, climber lowers to cut location, ties into tree, makes cut and piece is picked away. Is this legal? I know there are state and fed rules prohib anyone on crane hook, but is there an exception w/arbor/forestry industry? These local companies are well established and, from everyone I've talked to, also well respected. I'm interested in using this operation - eventually - but want to learn more about how to operate "on the level" - pun intended.

Well I guess I will bite the bullet on this one.

While riding the crane ball is apparantly not allowed by OSHA, I would challenge OSHA to come up with a safer means to remove a tree. The crane company that I work with doesn't allow a climber on the hook at all, however, they welded a closed steel eye on either side of the ball for the climber to tie into. The climber is always on a closed system that is more than likely (absolutely) stronger than half of the stuff they tie into in a tree. If this is not safe and OSHA would rather have me spike up the tree to assist the crane in removing the tree I would gladly invite some OSHA representatives to join us for some dead Elm and Tulip removals we have coming up.

I agree with rich h about it all, but it is prohibited to ride the ball.
That said, I have ridden it many times myself!
-Ralph

Your right you can't tie into the hook but you can put a prussic on the cable with a biner or rescue ring spliced to the prussic and tie in there. I have a 16 strand prussic cord with a 20,000# rescue ring spliced to it that I put a 4 wrap prussic on the cable just above that ball. I would stay away from using a prussic cord with aluminum biners however. You can do extensive wear to aluminum biners quickly expecially with the ups and downs fast decents with the crane.

99% of the time the I only ride the ball to the top once to tie in then I just run the tree out. I strap cut and move to next strapping point beating the ball to the next point. You save alot of time this way if your faster than the crane. Dead tree, live tree its all good.

All the crane jobs I have been on the rule has always been to tie onto a designated shackle connected above the ball with your climbing line and put your lanyard on the ball. That way you are tied in twice and your climbing line will not get cut by a burr on the ball hook. Dont know if this is a good practice but is what we did, and makes sence in my twisted mind :dizzy:

on very large dead / dangerous tree's we have had two cranes one for a false tie in and one for the picking. we tie onto a shackle welded to the ball and tie onto the tree as a redirect.

thanks for the input.
I jsut took a prep class and test for hoist license.
I asked the instructor about issue - he said to tie into hook was not allowed but abviously not enforced.
Large/dead takedowns seem safer from what I've been seeing of experienced crane operations.

Riding the hook

I am a licensed hoist engineer in Mass and work for a tree company that has a National 14127 crane. It is my understanding that in Mass the only persons whom can ride a ball are people in the tree care industry. Tree companies fall under some horticulture laws that are diffrent than construction companies. Kind of like how farmers don't need to hold licenses for half of what they do. They don't even have to pull building permits. So, that was what I was told. I have never read the laws/rules of Osha in Mass. I have been working for this well established company for 16 years now and we have never ever been questioned by anyone. So, ride away....

9th year rookie said:
Many of the larger companies around here (MA) use a crane (boom truck) for large takedowns. I've watched the operation from about 5 ro 6 different companies. Climber ties into hook, cranes locates climber to attach next cut to crane, climber lowers to cut location, ties into tree, makes cut and piece is picked away. Is this legal? I know there are state and fed rules prohib anyone on crane hook, but is there an exception w/arbor/forestry industry? These local companies are well established and, from everyone I've talked to, also well respected. I'm interested in using this operation - eventually - but want to learn more about how to operate "on the level" - pun intended.
the climber can be tied into the boom with a shackle for a crotch but not on the load line

jmack said:
the climber can be tied into the boom with a shackle for a crotch but not on the load line

Where did you learn that? Your Tonka toys?

Back