Another Day A Few More Trees!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sILlogger

Addicted to ArboristSite
Reaction score
a few pics of a job i worked at one thursday..just a bit some southern illinois timber!!
IMG_0472.jpg

IMG_0471.jpg

IMG_0467.jpg

IMG_0469.jpg

IMG_0468.jpg

IMG_0470.jpg

IMG_0473.jpg

Looks like another job well done. Looks like a lot of dark heart wood in the hard maple, and the poplar as well. Was the price very decent? how many bf was it? I love cutting big tulip poplars as well. Were those over 100' tall? That one is huge. Looks like the sap is flowing real good now, looks like the bark is peeling off easy. Watch yer step on them slippery suckers! Oh, and what happened with that one that split down the center?? I bet that one scared ya?! That you in the green shirt?

poplar

Great pics SI!!! How many feet in that big poplar log, 300ft? You got new tires on that 440? You sure that W14C can handle that load on the 9th pic? Naw, just messin. Looks like she is front heavy though. I'd rep you, but you know....:clap: :hmm3grin2orange: :greenchainsaw::biggrinbounce2:

that poplar tree wasn't that tall. but it had 1600 bft in the entire tree....that isn't me in the green shirt.. that is the guy that owns the skidder. he is also the one that cut the pecan that split down the middle, landed wrong and the fork busted it:buttkick: it happens i suppose. the tires on the 440D and the W14 are pretty well new. those W14's are darn good loaders, they will just about load any log that will be cut around here, and if it won't your getting something accomplished. i love cutting poplar, this one wasn't very tall but have cut alot of it that was, and yes i have busted my butt a many of times walking across poplar and the bark slipped...down you go...as for the hard maple, it hasn't been sold yet but the money will be good...it had a good 10 footer on the bottom and then the rest of it is on the bottom of the pile in the last pic.
btw this is me
IMG_0354.jpg

You always have great pics and it's really neat to see how loggers elsewhere do things. Everything in your operation seem very similar to here in western NY, so its cool to see some familiar stuff. Are you the faller and someone else owns the skidder? If so where did you learn to fall trees? Your cuts always look good. Keep posting the pics, we like em!

You always have great pics and it's really neat to see how loggers elsewhere do things. Everything in your operation seem very similar to here in western NY, so its cool to see some familiar stuff. Are you the faller and someone else owns the skidder? If so where did you learn to fall trees? Your cuts always look good. Keep posting the pics, we like em!

first off, thank you, i take a great deal of pride in what i do and how i do it...yes i am a contract cutter, (i have my own business and i own my own saws and logging operations call me and i go cut for them) on this particular job the guy in the green shirt owns the skidder. and as for where i learned to cut timber.....i'm gonna spill the beans to you all...i'm only 20 years old, be 21 in september..always cut firewood and begin doing a bit of small time logging when i was a jr. in hs. no skidder, no tractor, me, chainsaws, 4-wheeler and trailer blocking up logs and hauling them to the mill which was 3/4 of a mile from my house. lots of work!!! then when i graduated hs i got a job for a logging company right after graduation and their main cutter took me under his wing and within a week i was doing all their cutting, and then i have worked for several other operations since and it has been a never ending learning curve for going on 2 years now, i'm now attending college(forestry major) and logging whenever i can, but i just took my last final friday so now it is nothing but logging for me until the end of august...:chainsawguy: Thank goodness, school was driving me nuts(can't stand not being in the woods) so u all can hopefully look forward to alot more pics..and when i graduate from college i'm going to buy a skidder and go out on my own..i was gonna do it this spring but i decided not to try to run my own logging operation and go to college because i would have been skipping school to get a "real" education in the woods....anyway that is what i do and my life story:cheers:

btw:
this is just one of the logging operations that i cut for. have been working for them mainly here lately because they have had jobs that were all within 15 minutes of my house=great stuff, but there are 5 different outfits that i primarily cut for..makes for a change in scenery!!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back