Another Dumb splitter idea running through my head.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Racerboy832

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
I was watching how fast the big processors split wood when they have a 12 way splitter. I then saw one that looked like it was pushing wood through a grate. My dumb idea was , could you use a legally purchased storm grate and sharpen edges to split wood through it. You could remove some of cross bars if you want larger splits. They are usually pretty heavy steal ( not the cast ones). The trick would be attaching it to crush wood through it.

Me thinks, strength limitations

Might work tho... They are capable of large trucks stopping on them!

I am a fan of building wedges outta road grader blade.

Problem with shoving wood thru a square grid is that the wood has to be squeezed thru there due to the displacement of the blades.

Am a fan of cutting edges for wedge making,But a storm drain grate would fold,:laugh: splitting any thing except soft cheese :laugh: Build a purpose built wedge or buy one,Too much pressure to be playing with junk.:chainsawguy: My 2 cents :msp_biggrin:

I bet it works but i bet it's real tough on the splitter and the hydrolic lines or ram show it real fast.
Trouble with splitting wood through a grate is the pressure needed to push each bit past the 12 openings.
A french fry cutter vs a knife is a pretty good scenario for pressure differences.

Why not create 2 sets of 4 way splitters?
One 4 way at right angles the next at 45 from them.
Bet you could buy both and just a bit of welding to make a custom cut head.

Open end heads also avoid the pressure buiding up like a grate would have.
At some point though it all comes down to ram/hydrolic vs split #, no free ride for sure.

you would have to cute out some supports to even get the wood to through and when you did that it would probably just bend the metal:msp_wink:

bbbbbbbbbzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz, bzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz watch up racerboy it's time to get up and go to work and stop dreaming.
:msp_biggrin: I have those same types of dreams, lucky I'm getting older and forget about them after a day or two. Now that I'm 50 I've decided that it's time to stop trying to reinvent the wheel and just work smarter and not harder.

I agree I have too many thoughts in my head and not enough time or money. I work part time at the local dump. Now every time I looking in the scrap metal container i'm always trying to figure out if I can build anything with it.

Racer, our local dump used to be a mile from my house. When I grew up I spent so much time there I got hired to work ther parttime. I used to haul more home than I took there. If you've seen any of my threads you will see that I always have a 100 projects going on, luckily this means I don't have time for the really wacky ones. Right now I'm converting an indooor swimming pool room into a 3 bay garage. Then I can work on the wacky stuff.

i'm lucky i'm only there part time when needed. I really hate seeing people throw out good stuff. I swear that people must buy those BBQ tanks and use them once and throw them out. I've only been there in the fall season, I can only imagine what comes in all summer. The scrap yard is a whole other world. The amount of equipment that is scrapped would make you puke. Plus for only 7-10c a lb.

Latest posts

Back