Another Firewood Question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

njtuna

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
a few neighbors have rounds sitting in their backyards (look to be oak from a distance). i don't know how long they have been sitting there for, but i am finding it hard to resist asking them if they are going to do anything with them, as they are already cut to size and all i would have to do is split them. they do look a bit discolored. any insight as to how long rounds (assuming oak) can sit outside, and still be good firewood? thanks

As long as it's not rotten or really "punky", then it's burnable. Hit it with the back side of an ax, if it's rotten, thst will tell ya. If not, it's good to go. KD

I recently had a guy give me a pile of tree length logs that had been sitting on his property for at least a few years. Most of the stuff on, or close to the ground is junk..... but most of the wood away from the soil has been fine. Oak can last years after its cut. kd450 is right though.... only way you'll know is to get close to it , take a look, and maybe a little poke. I've been given plenty of wood by non-woodburning folk.... give it a shot, the worst they can say is no.

be a snob

I try to be "snobby" with my firewood. I don't like Bugs, mold, or excesive dirt in my house. I do take what I can get, in a pinch but I try to avoid those situations. I tend to keep an eye on areas with old stuff in it, and if I need it at the end of the season, I get a few days worth, and just bring in a few pieces at a time, because as we all know, the bugs will awaken in theheat of your house after a few days, so I am told. For the record, I don't mind bugs, but we live in an old house with wooden floors and plenty of places for them to hide and do whatever bugs do.

Latest posts

Back