Another ID this wood thread.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ya I'm gonna go with maple. Almost looks like hard though??????????????????????? maybe?????????????????not????????????

I just tossed in both basswood and silver maple in the OWB tonight; got the trees from a guy in town on a city lot, trees were very old, the size of those in the OP's pictures. Surprisingly, the trees had no center rot, and the landowner took what he could for logs to a local mill, and while I was taking the scraps from his yard, I said I was amazed a mill would take silver maple, and the guy says the mill don't call it that, they had another name for it, can't remember what it was. Anyway, like Cbird 14 says, if it's light and cuts with little effort, basswood is a great guess, if heavier, then silver maple. The pics show a little twist or angle to the bark, so I'd lean towards the silver maple.

Silver maple.
Splits easy, cures in 90 days , burns very clean and has a btu just over 20.
White Ash is a btu of 23.

Silver maple IMO is one of the best shoulder season and fire start woods that exists, kept in block format large chunks will burn for many hours so can make decent long burn night blocks on even pretty cold nights.
Worth the trip to get IMO.
I have massive quantities of silver maple and it's the first thing I get each morning to restart the coals.

Back