Another ID this wood thread.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrassGuerilla

Olympic Piss-reving wanna be.
Reaction score
image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg Fella has some big rounds that need to go. He's about 40 miles from me. Looks like it might be Poplar, any guesses? Worth 80 miles round trip? I'm bored, and a little cabin fever. Snow here (ok, not really much). I've got my own rounds to process still, just being a horder.

A very wild guess, some sort of maple. But, I suck at ID with pics anyway. Why does this guy want to get rid of it? And did you ask him how it split, clean, or stringy?

Looks like poplar or maybe cottonwood. How bored are you?:D

Apparently pretty dang bored. The oak leaves around the rounds had me excited for a second. Just don't think it looks like oak. Hard to tell from the pics.

Yeah, could be Elm. That would explain why he wants it gone too. Hand splitting Elm rounds that size ain't for Nancies.

A very wild guess, some sort of maple. But, I suck at ID with pics anyway. Why does this guy want to get rid of it? And did you ask him how it split, clean, or stringy?

His neighbors called the authorities. He's gotta clean that mess up. Haven't spoke to him directly yet. Thinking it over before driving across town. Looks like some noodlings been done. I'm guessing he has a wee little saw, and a maul, and has given in on those big uns.

Yup,

looks like Silver Maple (soft Maple)

But I get 'em wrong more than right.

Yeah,I don't envy you having to split that stuff by hand. Looks tough as nails.80 miles to get that much wood isn't efficient for me at least. Unless I was driving a Prius 2500 superduty

Looks like silver maple to me. One of the weakest maples. It's still firewood.

Looks like Silver Maple to me, too. Not dense, light weight, rots quickly. Generally not high on desirablilty list. Where most Maple splits fairly straight, Silve Maple likes to twist as it grows. Splits can be hard to stack because they just don't get that nice pie shape we all like.

My guess is basswood. Just from the few spots where the bark is broke off there's a dull reddish color underneath. Don't see very many basswood that large that aren't hollow around here anyway If it's light and cuts like a hot knife thru butter it's basswood. If it's heavy it's maple.

My guess is basswood. Just from the few spots where the bark is broke off there's a dull reddish color underneath. Don't see very many basswood that large that aren't hollow around here anyway If it's light and cuts like a hot knife thru butter it's basswood. If it's heavy it's maple.
Nope not Basswood. Cut some big leaners of that stuff in a fence line while reclaiming my front lawn and 2nd meadow this summer. Looks maple-ish. But I sure the hell wouldn't drive 80 miles for any kind of wood.

Looks like silver maple to me also. I agree 80 miles is too far to drive for wood, although I have done it for oak.

Nope not Basswood. Cut some big leaners of that stuff in a fence line while reclaiming my front lawn and 2nd meadow this summer. Looks maple-ish. But I sure the hell wouldn't drive 80 miles for any kind of wood.
I cut 3-4 cords of it this spring. The stuff grows everywhere. Dries fast. Burns like paper. And the smoke freakin stinks!! The twist on the one round make me lean towards a maple. But that reddish color under the bark has me guessing. And +1 on the no damn way I'd drive that far for any wood.

Back