Another logsplitter question

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PA. Woodsman

Addicted to ArboristSite
AS Supporting Member.
Reaction score
The other issue that I had with my splitter in the other thread seems to have worked itself out, used it today and it started on the 2nd or 3rd pull so that is fine. But it has been doing something as long as I can remember, and I am wondering if any of yours does this too...when I shut it off after it's been running for awhile, when it stops it goes "POP", like it is a gun shooting and making a "pop" noise! Anyone else's do that?

What happens often is that carbon builds up in or near the muffler. After some use the carbon is red hot. When the ignition is shut off the unburnt gases gets pumped out the exhaust and then bang it is ignited. A some what of a loud poof occurs. If any lose gaskets or other factors exist then it can be more noticable. Thanks

Yep, let it idle down. The old Kohler motors on my John Deere tractors did that. To fix the issue, not a problem, they put a solenoid on the carb that shut the fuel off when you turned the key off. In the JD shop they called it an "anti back fire solenoid", Joe.

Idle down is SOP for most any engine.
the honda on my troy built only has one speed so it's just hit the kill switch. i get a pop once in a while.

I turn off the fuel when I want to shut down for the day and idle down any other non emergency shut down. The issue is unburnt fuel hitting the hot exhaust and burning that makes the pop

The other issue that I had with my splitter in the other thread seems to have worked itself out, used it today and it started on the 2nd or 3rd pull so that is fine. But it has been doing something as long as I can remember, and I am wondering if any of yours does this too...when I shut it off after it's been running for awhile, when it stops it goes "POP", like it is a gun shooting and making a "pop" noise! Anyone else's do that?

As was already stated:Idle the bloody thing down for one or two minutes before mashing the "kill" switch.I have an old portable generator whitch doesn't have an operator controlled throttle.If I don't move the govener toward low speed for at least 1 min. before S/D it doesn't just pop,it explodes!If the splitter has a fuel S/O valve ,turn the gas off and let it run until it stalls out.That also cools the engine down as well.

I thought the bang was cool kept starting an shutting off a old Kohler was nice till the muffler blew apart .
Back in the good old days when the key was on the dash the guys liked to make the trucks back fire. Turn the key off while rolling in gear, pump raw gas into the muffler, turn key back on, BOOM! The boss didn't like buying new mufflers. The practice stopped when he told the guys that a new muffler was going to come out the the pay check of the driver assigned to that truck, Joe.

Latest posts

Back