Another modification.

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I often wonder if some of the people who design build equipment actually use it.
Obviously there isn't a perfect design, and people work differently.
Making modification to a conveyor. Next week Tuesday it's going to a welding shop. The issue is the engine/hydraulic location is very low slung under the belt, making maintenance and dirt a problem. I've always removed the engine to clean and change oil.
This week I found gobs of dirt/mud under the sheet metal, and assume it to be rain splash from periodic storms. A sheet of plywood beneath could provide protection, but it is simply an awkward location. Longer hoses and a sliding tray would be nice.
Instead I'm opting for a simpler relocation of the power unit, moving it higher and opposite the axle, or above the axle from where it is, by cutting the four support legs and re-welding to the main beams.

Edit: The engine, a Honda GX 160, is approx. fourteen/fifteen years old. It runs great, and for the twelve years I've owned it, mostly ran a touch above half throttle. I did find a chewed wire, and the molded on ends cracked and fatigued on others, fuel, spark plug, etc. Parts are coming but not all are in stock. Price checked Jack's Small Engines for an engine replacement, also not in stock.
The small local Kubota shop that stocked Hondas closed up. I bought a GX 200 from them for the SuperSplit. A year ago I had seen a GX 160 at a Blain's store, so when grocery shopping yesterday I stopped in. Didn't see anything, and inquired. They pulled one off the back shelf, and I'm guessing by the price, bar code on the box, it was the one I saw last year. $386. out the door. It came home with me.
The mod will put the engine at a nice height when the conveyor is in the lowered position, which is how I use it. It might not work for the next guy that owns it. If and when, they can move it to suit them better.
Time to strip down the hydraulics for the project and tow it over to the shop. Somewhere I have a small case, a kit, with magnetic lights for that. Last used them when I towed the conveyor from Iowa to Michigan.

Got the hydraulic tank/pump/valves stripped off, all of which are heavy.
Having second thoughts.
If I continue as planned, I may need to counterbalance in some fashion.
As the conveyor rises, the wheels and axle pivot or arc towards the hitch. The axle being the pivot point of 28' overall.
I'm open to suggestions at this point.
Can the engine/pump be located above the tank? Or would that cause problems with the vent on the hydraulic cap? For example, if I were to leave the hydraulic tank where it is, and offset the engine/pump/valves to the side and raised about belt height on a platform. Would it be better to raise the tank as well?

Crane If it was me I wouldn't spend the time and money moving it. They built it that way for balance and kept it low to keep from dumping the conveyor over. Hyd's ,dirt and saw dust make a mess. I would just power wash it once a year when I changed oil and serviced it. I would just put a piece of plywood down on the ground to help keep the mud from splashing up in the motor. A lot of times when I am done using my conveyor I blow the engine and around the drive roller off with my gas engine air compressor to keep the dirt from building up on the motor.

This BuiltRite conveyor doesn't owe me anything, as I've used it for twelve years. The Honda engine is tops, and I was very surprised at how dirty it became last year. I clean it each year, although this is the first time I've pulled the fuel tank. If the parts come I will remount it.
I have done a couple conveyor mods prior to this, changing the valve to a double valve and adding a lift cylinder was one. Changing the hydraulic motor mount and coupler.
I may add a second platform, leaving the original as a place to counterbalance, and option to easily switch back if this doesn't work out.
Most small to mid size processors have built in conveyors, and even some splitters come with them attached. I'd love a Hakke Pilkie or Japa, in which case I would no longer need the 28' stand alone conveyor.
I did consider a half sheet of treated plywood as the k i s s method. However this mod has been on my mind for several years.
There are newer and better design choices out there these days.

For me my stand alone conveyor works the best as I use it on my homemade processor and I use it on my homemade splitter. I have even used it to load wood out of a shed into a trailer. I wouldn't want a built in type. You have a nice conveyor and after having one I wouldn't be without it. It works better than the old corn elevator I used years ago.

The new coil and other parts, plug, plug cap, fuel filter, air filter, new fuel line and electrical kill wire all came in for the GX 160, and it is purring again. First time working on an engine if you can call it that. Nothing internal.
Hydraulic hoses and fittings were the single most expensive part of the change.
The conveyor will require counterbalancing to use safely at full height, and the controls are at chest height when raised to max, which was also a consideration.
Last photo is the original configuration.IMG_7411 (1).jpgIMG_7412.jpgIMG_7413.jpgIMG_7414.jpgIMG_7415.jpgIMG_7355.jpg

Latest posts

Back