Another MS180 Muffler and Carb Mod

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The 180 uses PMN - 3/8 0.043 chain. Same as the pole saws and the 170. Cuts great. Not great at boring.

If you put PM on it, it will cut slower due to the wider kerf.

3/8 LP With a sharp chain and minor mod it does great on mine.....

Stihl PMN cuts like a wild :censored: but doesn't take much to break cutters off...

Andy did Stihl come up with a better PMN chain??

I just got back from the dealer. PMMC3 is the only 3/8 Picco .043 they offer now. It's a safety chain. What's up with that. Basic on what I've seen, I'd much rather have the PMN. Perhaps I should try ordering a loop of PMN anyway.

Brad,
I have run both 61pmn and 61pmmc3 and I didn't really notice any difference. And yest they are both safety chains. If you want I have a loop of 34 lp from baileys that I can send you to try out.

Brad, run that sucker until the bar is worn out, then get the .050 bar! There are more options for chain in that size!

HI

I am new to this forum but have been lurking for awhile. I have a new 180(may 08) that I was thinking of doing the muffler mod to. What else needs to be done to it once the muffler is opened up. I don't think I am going to swap out carbs. I bought a new muffler for $1, an ebay score, and this would be the sacrificial lamb. Thanks for the info.

Modding the muffler will make the saw run leaner. You need to give it more fuel at WOT. The carb on the saw is not adjustable. You can use a Walbro WT-325A. It's still has a fixed H jet but is a hair richer on the top end. That's what I had on mine. It's a direct replacement and can be bought for $10 + shipping from a guy on eBay.

a lot easier to just replace the H jet..

BTw.. it's NOT a direct replacement. it just happens to fit... mostly.

Last edited:
a lot easier to just replace the H jet..

BTw.. it's NOT a direct replacement. it just happens to fit... mostly.

The WT215 fit exactly as the original Zama, linkage and all. The only mod required where holes in the plastic to gain access to the L needle and idle screw.

Re-jetting the Zama was mentioned in the other thread. The carb is aweful easy to get off and could be dialed in if you had a couple larger jet sizes. It was said that the MS180 comes with a .45 jet and a .48 should be like a 1132 121 5600 or a 1123 121 5630. I think I'd go this route before I'd go with the WT215. It's still unadjustable, so you might as well jet the carb you have.

Last edited:
Re-jetting the Zama was mentioned in the other thread. The carb is aweful easy to get off and could be dialed in if you had a couple larger jet sizes. It was said that the MS180 comes with a .45 jet and a .48 should be like a 1132 121 5600 or a 1123 121 5630. I think I'd go this route before I'd go with the WT215. It's still unadjustable, so you might as well jet the carb you have.

You don't need to even take the carb off - just undo the nuts and remove the filter box, slide back a tad, and unscrew the metering cover. I do this often to replace the dried-out or gummed-up diaphragm, and to clean out the main jet.

Jets are available in 0.1mm increments. 0.48 might be a bit big.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back