another new guy!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

superspiker

Reaction score
Found this site, COOL!

I am new to climbing, and been doing tree work for almost a year.
I have learned a lot watching, and now while climbing I know I need to learn more. I am looking forward to hearing how its done by the real pros.

Greetings, Superspiker! You have a lot of reading ahead of you. This is just one of the books you need to read and understand;

book2.jpg

Do you do much trimming? I ask because of the moniker you've choosen.

Enjoy AS!:blob2:

Go low and slow!!! Take your time and learn to trust your equipment:angel: Welcome to the site!!

thanks guys!
I have done some pruning, but mostly starting out with small removals. I will order the book next payday.

whats a moniker?

Master Blaster is basically asking if you use spikes on crown reductions, I assume. It is very bad practice if you do.

Moniker=nickname

moniker
n : a familiar name for a person (often a shortened version of
a person's given name); "Joe's mother would not use his
nickname and always called him Joseph"; "Henry's nickname
was Slim" [syn: nickname, cognomen, sobriquet, soubriquet]

I am using an old poulan.

Whats wrong with spikes? you guys wear them, right?
And whats a crown reduction? thats not a joke question is it?

Spiker-
You need to stay and hang around here a little (lot?) more! These guys will have you updated in no time at all, if you are willing and keep an open mind...

Brian (aka, RockyJ) is a little hardheaded and openly speaks his mind, so don't be put off. Mike Maas likes to play devil's advocate with just about everything. MasterBlaster, well, Butch is Butch, no way around it. JPS, well, I hope you can learn deciphering techniques rather quickly. Ken (TreeSpyder), well, same thing, but be ready for your head to spin once you figure out what he is saying! I would climb with any of these guys in a heartbeat if given the chance. And the ones I mentioned are just a few of the many, stick around, everyone here are good people!

Now, for the spikes.

Spikes should not be used for anything other than removals and aerial rescue emergencies. The reason for this is because the gaffs damage the cambium layer of the tree, sometimes to the point of being permanent. Plus, once the tree does start to heal, it looks like crap.

Order the Tree Climber's Companion, by Jeff Jepson. ISA and Sherrills both sell if for $15. Get a current Sherrills catalog. There's more information in that one catalog than I have ever seen in a catalog. Click on the banner at the top of the page to access their site.

As for the Poulan, there are better saws out there for climbing with. If the Poulan works for you, fine, but use a break-away lanyard and it better have a chain brake (don't listen to Butch on this one:D).

Keep reading as much as you can on this site. It's ALL good info!

Welcome!

Dan

Oh, yeah, forgot about crown reduction...

Crown reduction is considered by many as a "last resort". If there is a "proper" way to top a tree, crown reduction (or drop crotching) is it. Basically it involves cutting a leader back to a lateral that is at least 1/3 the diameter of the leader....

Like I said before, if you are a serious poster (why did I all of a sudden think I've fallen for a troll??) keep reading this site.

Dan

Originally posted by Dan F
If there is a "proper" way to top a tree, crown reduction (or drop crotching) is it. Basically it involves cutting a leader back to a lateral that is at least 1/3 the diameter of the leader....
Horse Hockey, Dan. The 1/3 rule doesn't fit many trees, and drop-crotching is NOT the only way to reduce a tree. Didn't you read Cass's article in TCI mag--which is free for the taking, superguy.

Heading cuts fit many situations, tho I wouldn't preach that to a newbie, just the savvy vets who visit here.

Superspiker, check the archives; you'll save yourself and everyone a lot of time that way.

Sorry, Guy. I'm not a climber, just a landscaper who considers himself a "tree guy".

I'll bow to your knowledge on this one, and I now stand corrected.:)

And, no, I didn't read the TCI article, I'm not a member of ISA right now...... Hardly have time to keep up here, let alone magazines.

Dan

Yeah Butch, I remember when Arbor Age was a very imformative magazine.-Now it is just a series of ads with some juvenile articles connecting them.

Originally posted by Stumper
Arbor Age...is just a series of ads with some juvenile articles connecting them.
Then why don't you write one for them? A couple of the articles have been better than juvenile--sophomoric maybe :D

Actually a few have presented good ideas, and I remember an editors intro was good once. It was worth wading through the machine ads to pick out those crumbs before the whole thing got recycled. Didn't take long at all.

It's easy to be a critic; while I agree AA is a mess, it is better than nothing, and could be made better yet with more submissions from the field. One thing's for sure--they pay no less than AS, and the audience is bigger!! ;)

Okay Guy, I grant that it is better than nothing, it does contain a few tasty morsels, and it doesn't take long to look for them. Sorry for being so negative. I just lament the drop from what it once was-it always had lots of ads and few articles but I remember it as more on a par with TCI.

As to writing an article.....maybe I should. Perhaps I will.

Gee, Justin, I don't think you need to start submitting articles just because you feel a magazine sucks. If AA wanted to be better it would be and the lack of articles would take care of itself.

I wasn't aware we needed to start getting printed to have an opinion. When do I need to defend my master's thesis?;)

Back