Another newbie

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gremlin

ArboristSite Guru
Reaction score
Howdy folks. My name is Dan and i have always been interested in tree climbing and arborist work. Im looking to start doing some work of my own. I live in NW Arkansas and there is a high demand for arborist work in the next town over from me. Is there any advice that i should follow or anyone in the area that would be willing to teach me a few things??? Thanks for you time

Gremlin

Welcome to the site, these folks know so much. I wish I could help however I am not in that area. hang in there watch and learn lots of knowledge on this site.
Good Luck

Dan - Welcome to the party.

If I were in your situation, a person just starting out in this arborist career, I'd try to learn all I could about the profession. I'd try to hookup with a good local firm that will teach you the basics.

I would attend some basic night courses in arborist/landscaping at the local schools if any are available in the area. As you know when starting out you won't make much money (because you don't know much are not that productive yet), but the time spent learning the various basic techniques will be time well spent. This information you learn will be with you for a lifetime, long after the paycheck is spent. The quicker you learn, the more money you will be able to make.

If you already have the basics and experience and you decide to go into your own business, I think it would be good to take some basic continuing ed courses at the local high school in basic bookkeeping, business law, and employee relations. These courses will probably not be a much fun as tree climbing/felling, but are very necessary if you run a business.

Just remember, the important thing when taking these course is not getting a good grade. What is most important is learning useful knowledge to help you do a better job.

Lastly, don't forget "safety". Red Cross first aid training classes would also me very helpful. I'm sure Arkansas has rules that professional arborists follow to keep them in one piece (probably learned over time the hard way).

Good luck! It should be a great adventure! Let us know how it works out for you.

Last edited:
Welcome to the site, these folks know so much. I wish I could help however I am not in that area. hang in there watch and learn lots of knowledge on this site.
Good Luck

thanks sand dollar. i have done alot of reading on the sight and have already learned alot

If I were in your situation, a person just starting out in this arborist career, I'd try to learn all I could about the profession. I'd try to hookup with a good local firm that will teach you the basics.

I would attend some basic night courses in arborist/landscaping at the local schools if any are available in the area. As you know when starting out you won't make much money (because you don't know much are not that productive yet), but the time spent learning the various basic techniques will be time well spent. This information you learn will be with you for a lifetime, long after the paycheck is spent. The quicker you learn, the more money you will be able to make.

If you already have the basics and experience and you decide to go into your own business, I think it would be good to take some basic continuing ed courses at the local high school in basic bookkeeping, business law, and employee relations. These courses will probably not be a much fun as tree climbing/felling, but are very necessary if you run a business.

Just remember, the important thing when taking these course is getting a good grade. What is most important is learning useful knowledge to help you do a better job.

Lastly, don't forget "safety". Red Cross first aid training classes would also me very helpful. I'm sure Arkansas has rules that professional arborists follow to keep them in one piece (probably learned over time the hard way).

Good luck! It should be a great adventure! Let us know how it works out for you.
As of right now i have a full time job and plan on doing this on the side for a while. it may not even be a career move for me but its something i know i would enjoy. I have checked into classes here and there only given twice a year and of course it just ended. I have in the past owned my own business so i have all the legally needed classes if i do start a business in this field. I have all the nec. gear saws saddle rope gaffs ect. I have no problem what so ever climbing a tree. Just trying to learn how to properly and safely put a tree on the ground. And what to expect in situations while in that process. Thanks alot for your time and information it is much appreciated

Just remember, the important thing when taking these course is getting a good grade. What is most important is learning useful knowledge to help you do a better job.

As of right now i have a full time job and plan on doing this on the side for a while. it may not even be a career move for me but its something i know i would enjoy. I have checked into classes here and there only given twice a year and of course it just ended. I have in the past owned my own business so i have all the legally needed classes if i do start a business in this field. I have all the nec. gear saws saddle rope gaffs ect. I have no problem what so ever climbing a tree. Just trying to learn how to properly and safely put a tree on the ground. And what to expect in situations while in that process. Thanks alot for your time and information it is much appreciated

concerned

I have been asked to drop a tree this weekend. I feel i can accomplish this. But i am concerned bieng that this will be the first tree i have attempted to drop from the top down. Its right beside a fence and has more than enough room in the oppisite direction to be dropped. Except it is too tall. So obviously it should be topped a little at a time till its short enough to do. I am very confortable climbing trees and have cut many down deep in the woods. I know there is a difference. But i feel this is accomlishable. Would any of you think this is too difficult of a task for a semi beginner?? Or should i just let it all hang out and go for it. I have plenty of sharp minded help to stay on the ground and help direct falling debri. If u feel im just crazy or its not such a great idea feel free to say so. Im thick skinned and can take the critisism. After all it is my life ya know.

I have been asked to drop a tree this weekend. I feel i can accomplish this. But i am concerned bieng that this will be the first tree i have attempted to drop from the top down. Its right beside a fence and has more than enough room in the oppisite direction to be dropped. Except it is too tall. So obviously it should be topped a little at a time till its short enough to do. I am very confortable climbing trees and have cut many down deep in the woods. I know there is a difference. But i feel this is accomlishable. Would any of you think this is too difficult of a task for a semi beginner?? Or should i just let it all hang out and go for it. I have plenty of sharp minded help to stay on the ground and help direct falling debri. If u feel im just crazy or its not such a great idea feel free to say so. Im thick skinned and can take the critisism. After all it is my life ya know.

Actually sounds like a pretty good tree for a newbie. Climb up and set a rope. Come down a few feet and notch and backcut it-just like dropping a short tree on the ground. Don't yank on the rope, just keep tension on it in case you mess up on your cut. Since you have cut trees before, should be no big deal. Send rope back up and repeat. The biggest thing to think about is the ride. As a first timer, it may surprise you a bit how much a tree can travel. Simply make sure you are double tied in and your spikes are well set. I often double wrap my climbing line just in case. Simply go with the flow and you will be fine. Good luck.

first time

Thanks beowulf your advise will be used. I have stacked cell phone towers in the past so i think ill know what to expect as far as the tree moving but maybe not ha. Guess im gonna find out. Im pretty solid with my nerves so i think ill be fine. Thanks for the advise!!!

pics and thanks

Thanks to everyone that has welcomed me to the site. I will try to get photos of the tree on the site asap. The job has been pushed off till next week so i have a little more time. It seems as though it will be a pretty easy tree all things considered. I almost hate to say that being im the new guy here. Im honestly not trying to simplify anything you pros do. Thanks again for the advice all and the welcomings. You folks rock:rock:

I think rebelman is in your area. why not pm or email him?

good advice by all so far, but beowulf forgot about advising your tip below your cut. Honest, I saw one guy fly when he was tied into the piece he was cutting. Not pretty.

Low and slow, dude.

pics

I doubt i will have a chance to post pics of the tree im gong to remove before i do the job. Its a coworker and he lives a ways away. I plan on having several people with me helping on the ground and some taking pics. So i wont be able to post them before hand but i will get some of the process and ill be sure to post them. Thanks guys for the help and advise. Any last minute advice??:newbie:

good advice by all so far, but beowulf forgot about advising your tip below your cut. Honest, I saw one guy fly when he was tied into the piece he was cutting. Not pretty.

Good point. I always assume people have common sense and i'm always amazed at how many don't.

But you are right-i have seen newbies that have wanted to do this. I have to tell them wait a minute and think about what they are about to do. I think they have so much going on (the height, whether their knot will hold, not dropping the saw, and the 101 other things that we don't even think about any more) that they get overwelmed and forget the basics. It's just so far outside the realm of what most people find normal that they can't process it all. Go slow and double/triple check before you cut(or until you have a couple years under your belt and it is second nature.) Although i'll still triple check things if i get into a tricky situation. It's the simple things that will get you every time.

Huh-sorry, just rambling on as random thoughts pop into my head. :laugh:

feedback

I do appreciate all the feedback form everyone. Im gonna hire a pro that is a friend of a friend of mine to help walk me through the drop. I feel good about it but i love life too much to let a rookie mistake or pride get in the way. He is liscened and insured. I have not met him yet so i hope he is pretty patient. I take new things pretty slow. Especially if it involves my life. So ill get the pics up asap when im done. Thanks again everyone. Its much appreciated
:chainsawguy:

humbled

Hey folks. Well i had the day off today so i called Rick (the pro who taught me alot today) and dropped the tree i have been talking about. Along with four others. I tell u guys what I have a new found RESPECT for you arborists. I have climbed trees and cell towers and logged trees but never until today have i climbed a tree and topped it. Holy :censored: i am smoked. I think that is the hardest i have ever worked in my life. My legs feel as though someone beat me with the trunks of the trees i dropped. WOW!! But all and all it was a good day and a successful one. Rick stayed on the ground and walked me through everything. No damages to any property unless u consider my legs. I did however have a few problems that i would like to ask your opinions on. My gaffs just didnt wanna cooperate with me on the high side of the trees where the trunk was much smaller. They wanted to roll to the fronts of my calves. Why is this?? And i have one more section that needs to be done. I think its gonna be tricky. Rick the pro offered to do it but we ran out of time. The section is approx. 60 feet high and probably 25 inches around. It leans way out not so its not so much growing straight up. The homeowner does not want it cut at the base. A bucket truck is out of the question due to lack of accessability. How would i go about dropping this section. I dont think i would feel confortable bieng that far out.

In the end i learned alot!! And realized just how hard you fellas work everyday. My hats off to all of you!!! :bowdown: :bowdown: :bowdown:

Holy :censored: i am smoked. I think that is the hardest i have ever worked in my life. My legs feel as though someone beat me with the trunks of the trees i dropped. WOW!!

My gaffs just didnt wanna cooperate with me on the high side of the trees where the trunk was much smaller. They wanted to roll to the fronts of my calves. Why is this?? And i have one more section that needs to be done. I think its gonna be tricky. Rick the pro offered to do it but we ran out of time. The section is approx. 60 feet high and probably 25 inches around. It leans way out not so its not so much growing straight up. The homeowner does not want it cut at the base.

:laugh: I have not been doing this very long and I come down sopping wet. Jeans and shirt soaked through. I can almost wring sweat out of them. I have had to stop before from the leg pain of the spurs getting to be too much. Last weekend was the first one I finished where I felt like I could walk around and talk normally after I came off the tree. It is extremely hard work. I don't know how the pro's do it day in and day out. I think I could do 2 maybe 3 a week, but no more. I think some on here sometimes do more than 1 per day. Thanks, I'll keep my day job :).

What spurs do you have? What pads do you have on them? My guess is you have the L or T pads. That turned out to be a huge part of my pain and discomfort. My Buckingham spur/L pad combo's were rolling toward my calves. It sounds like yours are rolling toward your shins. In any case, it is not good. I have heard and read that the Super Pads, Cushion wraps or Aluminum "Cadillac" pads are the best of the bunch. I do like my new Cushion wraps. Sorry if you wasted money on the L or T pads. Check your spurs. There are right and left, at least for the Buckinghams. I looked at mine when I first got them and thought they were symmetrical. However while swapping in my new Cushion wraps I noticed an L and R stamped on the shanks. I don't recall seeing them when I originally set them up and could not tell you if I had them on correctly. I still notice the spurs but I can definitely climb alot longer with alot less pain now. But I also might be more experienced to know to rest on the rope or a branch whenever possible. Take something to drink up with you too for the longer days. I just picked up a camelbak like thing. I have been a bike rider for years and never had one. I am looking forward to using this one.

I have found it hard to get good position once the spar thins out, I'll guess at 6" diameter and under. The only thing I can think of that would help is if I had a safety TIP above me to help secure me from rotating around the spar.

From the sounds of it, let the pro do it. It will give you a chance to observe his technique.

Congrats on taking good precautions and making it through.

Who agrees?

i found that cutting the top out with the Humboldt notch and a back cut level with the face cut leaving a small hinge leaves less abrubtly than the traditional felling techniques.

Latest posts

Back