Another newbie

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Amen. Using a setup like woodchux' made a BIG difference for me in how comfortable I feel on small spars, and in how well I take the ride removing a top. I use a running bowline instead of the snap woodchux has chosen, just because someone warned me about loading a snap across the axis. Smaller the spar, more the load against the axis of the snap - but, a 170 lb climber on a 6000 lb snap probably would not be at risk. I also use a Petzle ID or Stop instead of the Blakes, thinking the mechanical descender is less likely to jam if I get cut or stung and need to bail out. Woodchux, does the Blakes give you any trouble in that kind of SRT descent?

All i do is stomp one spur in and bring my other knee up to push my self away from the trunk and when i can i tie into another tree with my climb line.The only time i wrap my saftey is when i am on limbs that are bare.

I think after hearing from some of u pros i will give the velcros a shot. got nothing to lose at this point. still a little nervous bout velcro so ill probly just practice witht them a few feet off the ground till i feel good bout it.

removal

I trimmed a few trees through out the week and i gotta say i feel good about myself. For starters everything went well. They were pretty small spars and i felt "ok" in them. The owner of the trees wanted them down all together and i talked him out of it. Someone told him it would be best to just take them down all together. All he wanted was for his satelite to work and the limbs were in the way. So i got up there and trimmed the tree and he was very pleased. Felt good bout that too. Accomplishing what the customer wanted without killing any trees.:rock:

Latest posts

Back