another one bite's the dust !!!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Alanarbor is hit the nail right on the head. Totally true. Hard work once was respected now it is sneered at. Alanarbor could rant for days, so could I and I am glad I dont drink anymore cause some men (hate to use the term) and women would get an earfull! "You lazy, useless f##ks, 100 years ago you would have starved to death, wouldnt know hard work if it bit you on the ass, Goddammitt". There, I almost feel better.

quickest turnover I had was 10 minutes.Left a new groundie in the yard to load a truck with wood while I went to do a small job.10 minutes later the salesman called and asked why I had taken the new guy, he wasnt in the yard. He put 3 pieces of wood on the truck and walked away without a word.

I work every day with the dumbest of the dumb. So dumb, you wouldn't believe it. If I was forced to hang with them all day I would go freaking nuts.

The best crew would be the one that didn't have groundies working. Instead, they would all be climbers/operators that were working on the ground. That might not sound cost efficient, but over the long run I bet it would be.

That is true MB, all of our "ground" guys are either PHC techs in the on season, or at least at an apprentice climber level of skill. Very few just bodies (usually only in the heavy season)

I perfer equipment over groundsmen generally. I have 2 groundsmen that are pretty good, still learning though.

Equipment and a coupla guys, my dream setup if i go full time.

Winter is the slow season here in Idaho. The tree service I'm working for shrinks down from two to three crews to just one. The other climber and I do a little bit of everything, climbing, bucket work, dragging brush, whatever. We have a good time. I joke/commiserate with him that soon he'll be out working with his idiots and I'll be out with mine. I'm still hopefull we'll get good guys.

Also--don't most really good ground guys become climbers?

Retention can be very tough, and often its not directly numerical. You have to go beyond the obvious sometimes. Your guy works for money but its not all thats going on in his life and you may need to find what that thing is.

For example, if he has a partner or kids you may need to look at keeping her happy.(and happy with him). For example, buy some flowers, give them to him to give to her. Buy his partner/kids presents for there birthday and xmas. Goes a long way. If hes got mates that like to do something like go to the games, shout them a few tickets (or just to the movies, or if you hear hes having a party, buy him some beer and meat for the grill.

Give him more responsiblity on the job, give him decision to make and make the right ones result in some sort of reward. If he finds you a job or client, give him a great cut on it. Get him to elect a family member or good friend and do a half days work on their property for free or help them if they need to move. Make people around him appreciate his job and he will appreciate it more.

Seems like going overboard but your staff are the most valuable asset in a business.

Hey Rolla

UK got a good dole system for these wankers to bludge on? That's what happens here.

In fact a single mum with 2 kids gets about $800 f/n, if loser dad "moves out" he gets another $450 f/n, eventually single mum gets public housing for nicks. Then they get free medical, consessions every where they go and so on. And you wonder why the wanker doesn't want to work. The wanker gets cash jobs here and there, and lifes good.

Need conscription at age 18 for 2 years to turn these nancys into men and break the hereditary losers genetic bloodline. Teach em some team work, ethics and respect. And they may also break the nose in the air toffee outlook of these white collar snobs, teach them what sweating is all about.

Rolla, I've learnt one thing dearly, throwing money at the problem only ends up costing you more. It's not your job to father these wankers.

Some crews around here run with 2 to 3 day a week casuals, so if ones a dud you got back up, think outside the box and cover yourself, and remember ... it's your business ... don't be held to ransom or sabotage.

A top gun climber a couple of months ago was looking for a job, this guy was superman, I was loyal to my crew and turned down the offer, that super climber got another job ... my climber quit last week. HOW DUMB WAS I. Put yourself and business first.

(Single Mom with 3 kids here, thanx.) And both "exes" work their a** off too, to help support themselves & our kids. Had to spank ye on the stereotype, Ekka. Cheers.
TimberMcPherson, you've got it in spades. I'd work for you any day o' the week !
I have to admit to being (chronically) late for work. My boss put me in Plant HealthCare... and if I want my hours I have to work 'til dark. Everybody's happy now, and when I get tired of dragging my butt home at 10 p.m., I get it together and show up at 8 in the a.m. It's a bit different 'cause PHC is a one-man show for us, but this could maybe be revised a bit for the blokes who don't wander in until 9:00 ??? Leave 'em out on the site alone,raking and hauling wood (non-dangerous stuff) 'til sundown a few times ?

you definatly aint a stereotype treechick and max respect to you well done must be hard being a mum and working full time or even part time for that matter :) but i do have to agree with EKKA there are a lot of waster dads out there and stereotype single mums ,breeding lazy ,rude ,children

timber...if you become a large outfit and need a senior foreman please please give me a call ,i would love to work for you..just make sure you keep your promise about steak's beer and flower's for the wife

MB newb started today 17 yer old and a dad :dizzy: ..but he did learn to tie a bowline on his first and second attempt.... :) ohh and he can string more than 3 words together without reverting to grunt's :)

Well Rolla, if he can stick this cold, wet chitty weather now he should be ok, at least till he gets bored, fed-up or just plain lazy. OR he could be the 1 in a million that your looking for and be your No. 1 in a few years good luck! :)

rolla,remember what i told you the other day, work em hard and dont give him an inch. if hes cut out for the job he'll take it on the chin......make em or break em

Hey, thanx, Rolla ! But believe me I'm no minority in these parts... Lots of Moms (& Dads) doing the same dance. Didn't you mention that you & the missus are expecting child #3 any day now ??? You'll be sure to give us the news, k ? (Maybe you already did ?)

treechick he arrived 12 days ago check out 'odd's n ends' you know where HOUSER !,there are pics on there of the little bundle of fun

down

everyso often i have a low and look for a new job, then cant find one but by that point im happy again.

been doing some production felling recently so i am now getting asked by the boss if i want to fell it, or let him. which is a bit odd as 2 weeks ago i was in the tractor winching.

anyway back to the point, i'm a lot happier now im getting more done. bit confused as its all new

jamie

Hey jamie

I was your age once and can relate to what you're on about.

Don't confuse a new job with another job. If it's doing the same thing it's just another job, a new job is a whole new career path, like going from factory packing to carpet cleaning.

So, think about it, do you like the work that the tree industry provides? You know, outdoors, rugged, get to bust out some trees, use cool tools, drive + use different types of machinery, or are you looking for a change ... perhaps not confident at what you do.

The sooner you decide what it is that you want to do the better because later in life the financial pressures are going to make you work and nothing sucks more than having to do a job you hate.

No worries mate.

finances

you dont have to tell me about financial thingys, god, 4 years at Uni the overdraft, loans and visa bills all help show my past, now 24 with a mortgage, later in life it will be great, but just now, well money is tighter than lycra

i love the job, i even like the rainy days, after 6 hours in teh rain it just gets funny, looking up and watching the rain fill your eyes.

jamie

Latest posts

Back