Another Roadside Attraction Shovel Logger Extreme Working Landing

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
As requested, here are photos of the loader working. Unfortunately, the carriage was lacking an antenna so the yarder was not working. The pictures show the Shovel Logger Extreme doing basic landing work. The sawyer in the photos is touching up the logs...cutting off the rough ends for shipping.
The other photos are of the hooktender topping a reluctant tree. The tree will be rigged and used as a tail tree (lift). It was not a good day down in the brush. The photographer and correspondent found a bee's nest and had to hightail it for an alternate camera spot. All stinging yellow things are referred to as BEES by the photographer. The hooktender did a test of the durability of a Stihl. He dropped it from about 50 or 60 feet up. It survived. The saw was not the one he was accustomed to using and did not want to run properly. He tried to finish his cut by wedging but the tree started to split so he had to call his helper to send up the saw. The top fell and the photographer got a good shot of the ground. All photos have been brightened because it was a typical overcast morning in the PNW. Ground shot is not included. Pictures were taken this morning.

Funny story, I like the high riggers old aluminum hat. I have never seen a yarder working on pavement, here they are confined to the bush, but sometimes they are on the news, lots of places to chain yourself to, if you are a tree hugging freak that is. Looks like some nice second or third growth wood. No doubt you are "destroying the wilderness", again. Looks good, log it or lose it.

I would say that the aluminum hats are the height of fashion here. They are still popular. I have my old one but my employer says we must wear plastic on the job. The liner is kind of gross on the aluminum one but also on the plastic one come to think of it. Should have the West Coast yarder set up on the pavement tomorrow so I'll maybe get some more shots since I have to go up there frequently to harass them. :hmm3grin2orange: I'll be jumpy about bees for a few days..

slowp, u work in the woods or just know the guys, were are all the big 'uns? none the less does look like some nice wood, i wish our trees didn't taper like that!

Last edited:
Nice pictures!

Yarder on the pavement!Brilliant,at least there would be no ''boot sucking mud bog" created after a few days of rain!Do you have your tie backs over the road?If so how high is the tower?We would some times have the tail hold Dozer parked on the side of the high way,but would have to hire a day labourer to whatch it and keep all the huggers and tourists at bay.:deadhorse:

SIlogger, yup, I'm out working in the woods most every day. It's almost been 30 years. The big stuff was cut already in this area. There's some gnarly old stumps around. There's not many mills left that can take the big wood anymore. The mill rep for this wood says it is the perfect size and grade for them.

Treeboggan, the guylines are hung across the road onto stumps. The hill slopes up from the road. The Skagit yarder has 2 guylines, the West Coast yarder has 3. We figure if a log truck can make it under the lines, the basic motorhome can also fit. The problem on this setting is that the width is narrow with a culvert directly across from the yarder. We use cones to try to keep the traffic in line and on the road. And I worry a lot (see my signature line). No problems with treehuggers. Somebody did break in one weekend and ripped off some stuff. Well, gotta head back up. Any more questions?

slowp, u a cutter, or a choke setter, whats your job? we don't have that many set job positions, i mainly cut, but then i might run the skidder, or mechanic on something. but i haven't done anything but cut for the last 6 months

I am an evil sale administrator for a govt. agency. But I have been known to assist in dire times of need...like moving a yarder the other week, have set chokers, torn muscles running from trees and cracked rib cartilage twice doing unplanned acrobatics. Love being around the logging and do a lot of skyline corridor tree marking and problem solving. The latest problem...finding guyline trees. I'll be checking that out tomorrow. I seem to be the one in the middle of the planning world and the real world and it is such a bummer anymore I am starting to count the days. Then I'm hoping to find another job (definitely non government) out in the woods. I just got officially certified so I am also one of the few govt. employees who can buck windfall out of roads. That was highly amusing to the loggers. They didn't believe I could run a saw...I'm...I'm not a guy!! :eek: :eek: Hence the desire for a pink hickory shirt. Have worked in CA, AZ, OR, WI (I hated the ticks and humidity in the midwest) and now am back home in WA where I worked before, during the logging of the old growth and the time of the big yarders and really hairy ground. Anyway, I forgot my camera today but the Skagit was still broke down and the West Coast was walking up the road on tires thrown in front by the crew.

Last edited:
Thanks for the pics. Most people never get to see yarder logging.
So you want to quit? It is a terrible shame, the qualified people keep leaving and the certified but highly unqualified people stay and promote more unqualified people. My generation and younger Gov workers that I work with often scare the **** out of me.

Funny story, I like the high riggers old aluminum hat. I have never seen a yarder working on pavement, here they are confined to the bush, but sometimes they are on the news, lots of places to chain yourself to, if you are a tree hugging freak that is. Looks like some nice second or third growth wood. No doubt you are "destroying the wilderness", again. Looks good, log it or lose it.

good pics yea thats the first time Ive seen a yarder working on pavement too

Latest posts

Back