Another Stihl 040

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wolfcoln

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
Well I found another Stihl 040, this one was on ebaaaa.... so I was not sure what I was getting but the price was ok and I could use it for a parts saw for one of my other ones if need be. Well it came in the mail and I was so busy, I didn't even unpack it for a week. Well Saturday rolled up, I upacked it and I was surprised that by gosh it looked pretty good. Well off to the Stihl shop where the Stihl God THALL works to see if it were any good. I blew the dust off it and cleaned it up a bit. It came with no plug so I figured that must mean it has no compression. NO! There was plenty of compression. Well there must be something wrong with it. Nope no other missing parts. HMMMMM well lets look in the gas tank.... DAAAAmmmm it is filthy. Well we will have to clean that out before trying to start it. The God, I mean Tommy was pretty impressed on how it looked....and not much impresses him. Well I thought I would post some photos he took. Now the one model is pretty cute, but the other is about butt UGGGLY.....
I hope you like them:yoyo:

View attachment 220087

View attachment 220089

View attachment 220093

Last edited:
fine looking saw you grabbed there, i like the look of the 040 compaired to the 041 but thets JMHO, rep given. :rock:

that first picture of tom laying on the counter is the best picture that I've seen of him since I've been a member on here.:laugh:Scott

that first picture of tom laying on the counter is the best picture that I've seen of him since I've been a member on here.:laugh:Scott

HEY, thats my dog Addy and she is much cuter than Tommy every thought of being.

:msp_confused:

Well I found another Stihl 040, this one was on ebaaaa.... so I was not sure what I was getting but the price was ok and I could use it for a parts saw for one of my other ones if need be. Well it came in the mail and I was so busy, I didn't even unpack it for a week. Well Saturday rolled up, I upacked it and I was surprised that by gosh it looked pretty good. Well off to the Stihl shop where the Stihl God THALL works to see if it were any good. I blew the dust off it and cleaned it up a bit. It came with no plug so I figured that must mean it has no compression. NO! There was plenty of compression. Well there must be something wrong with it. Nope no other missing parts. HMMMMM well lets look in the gas tank.... DAAAAmmmm it is filthy. Well we will have to clean that out before trying to start it. The God, I mean Tommy was pretty impressed on how it looked....and not much impresses him. Well I thought I would post some photos he took. Now the one model is pretty cute, but the other is about butt UGGGLY.....
I hope you like them:yoyo:

View attachment 220087

View attachment 220089

View attachment 220093

looks good, i also got an 040 from the "bay" a couple years back, looked like it took an acid bath with most of the paint missing, but was otherwise very nice, i've since restored this saw, and now looks like new, i love these old stihls, just finishing up an early 041av, i'm starting to really like these as well, good score!:buttkick:

arnt the 040 and 041s the same?:msp_confused:

no, the biggest difference is the intake manifolds, the 041's have a seperate impulse line to the carb, there are other small differences, but otherwise pretty much the same:msp_sleep:

arnt the 040 and 041s the same?:msp_confused:

They are the same except for a few small differences like Old said. They only made them one year though 1966. Supposed to have been the 40th aniversary, but I do not know that for sure, ant that seems sort of odd
My first one that I have was my Grandpas. He bought it brand new in 1966; which was unusual for him. He did not buy much of anything new.
I keep finding out more all the time about the 040 and I appreciate all the information I can get :msp_smile:

They are the same except for a few small differences like Old said. They only made them one year though 1966. Supposed to have been the 40th aniversary, but I do not know that for sure, ant that seems sort of odd
My first one that I have was my Grandpas. He bought it brand new in 1966; which was unusual for him. He did not buy much of anything new.
I keep finding out more all the time about the 040 and I appreciate all the information I can get :msp_smile:

i'm quite shure these saws were also "upgraded" as mine has fine recoil cover fins rather than the large colling fins and mine also has a shut off switch like the 041's instead of being on top of the air filter cover, i think the saws were carried over into 1967 as well;)

Back