Another unplanned tree climb but trees all down, yea!

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

fearofpavement

Trying them all
Reaction score
Well, back to the job site today to fell the remaining trees. This job has eaten our lunch as it hasn't gone as smoothly as planned. Today I successfully threw the throw line into the only suitable crotch the tall oak had and wound up breaking it pulling the bull rope threw that crotch. It's the only time I've broken a throw line. So I re-rigged, finally got the line through the crotch again and again broke the throw line. grrr. So I got the line through there the third time (a long and difficult throw) and still couldn't pull the bull rope through. A closer examination showed the throw line was sawing into the dead branch and was down about halfway through it. Gave up, pulled the line back down and had to climb the tree to set the pull line. Rats. It wasn't a complicated climb and I didn't even need to take the chain saw, just my little Samurai hand saw. I had already pulled off a bunch of poison ivy vines using the Marvin pole saw. Climbed up, set the line and came back down. This was a tricky tree in that it had a defined lean towards the residence (why we were taking it down) and I had to overcome that lean with the rope. That had to be rigged through a pulley and the suitable anchor tree was so far from the truck that I had to join three sections of rope together and use two tow straps too. At any rate, it came down where it was supposed to but it was one of those jobs where extra care has to be taken with every aspect of the process. We took down another tree today where I was out of view of my groundie in the truck. I briefed her very thoroughly and that one came down properly as well. One was easy and needed to be pulled but it was small and not too tall. Not a pucker factor with that one. The last one was a very tall, large straight oak. It was weighted slightly towards the house and again had to be rigged with pulleys and multiple ropes. It was also growing out the side of a slanted rock retaining wall which was treacherous footing as it was very large rocks covered with copious amounts of dry leaves. Took one trip down the slope on my butt but I don't think anyone was watching...
So, with the trees all on the ground now, my groundie (wife) cleaned up and stowed gear while I did some limbing and bucking. I'll finish that tomorrow as it's all getting cut into firewood for the customer to keep.
I'll be glad when this job is completed and I need to practice my bidding skills...
No pics today as groundie was busy the whole time.
Saws used: Stihl 018C, Stihl 028 Super, Stihl 039, Stihl 044, Marvin manual pole saw (all four sections of it)
We were going to go out for supper but settled for corn dogs and canned baked beans in front of the TV. Whupped!

Latest posts

Back