Roping, throw weights - need suggestions or videos

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brewmaster

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
It has been almost 45 years since I did roping with a crew. Never threw the weights nor pulled nor set lines; so I need learn a bit of this prior to some felling. Have to do 30ish trees and most are clear of the house and cabin. And I can fell a tree. I just want to relearn some safety roping techniques. Plus techniques fro throwing the weights, drawing the ropes up etc. These are easy trees to fell; but I just want to have a bit of additional safety for the ones closer to the cabin and house. TIA for any help of vid links etc.

Setting a pull rope is relatively easy. If you have a trowline and weight (throw ball) just toss it high up in the canopy, making sure it goes over a good branch union. Tie your pull rope onto that, and pull it through the canopy. Tie off at the base of the tree with a running bowline or use a carabiner. This is called a basal tie. Set it above where you will be making your cut

And of you buy a throw bag use a slightly heavier weight, for example 350g. Throws much higher with less effort.

Picked up a 340 Gram one 12 oz. Have a bunch of rope and cordage etc. Gone get my son dialed in so he can rope while I cut. Most the felling is pretty easy but want to make sure to avoid hitting the cabin or house. The closest is probably 10 yards away or so ... Any benefit of using a pulley for better angle and mechanical advantage? The toughest I may leave t a pro with insurance.

Picked up a 340 Gram one 12 oz. Have a bunch of rope and cordage etc. Gone get my son dialed in so he can rope while I cut. Most the felling is pretty easy but want to make sure to avoid hitting the cabin or house. The closest is probably 10 yards away or so ... Any benefit of using a pulley for better angle and mechanical advantage? The toughest I may leave t a pro with insurance.
Pulleys on a tree towards the direction you wanna fell is very helpful. Look up how to set up a 3 to 1 or trucker's hitch. Far more pulling power this way with less effort.

Good call if you are uncomfortable felling any trees close to structures, that's why we're called in 😁

Latest posts

Back