Another use for an OWB?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rcbuehler

ArboristSite Lurker
Reaction score
So I was outside looking at my roof and gutters today. A few weeks of snow still sitting on the roof and temps in the mid 20's with sun. My gutters are full of ice and it is supposed to be in the 40's tomorrow. So I was considering installing those electric heat cables on the roof edge and gutters (for the next time it happens) but i really hate to think of the cost for running those. So I started thinking, would it be possible to run a circuit from an OWB through a water-to-water heat exchanger to heat a loop filled with anti-freeze that would circulate through the gutters?
Any ideas on the possibility and effectiveness of this?
Line size and materials?

I don't see why not. Should be no different than a snowmelt circuit. You'd need to run a propylene glycol mix to keep it from freezing up when its not being used, and the bigger PEX pipe is not as easy to conceal as smaller electric heating cables.

Yeah, those things cost a lot to run. One lady I know has 2 of them and they run her about $40 a month and still don't work that great.

Latest posts

Back