Another What to Plant?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PlankSpanker

ArboristSite Member
Reaction score
But I'm in Minnesota. I've been busy clearing a couple of acres since all that was left were mostly a bunch of nasty Box Elders. This climate and soil seems to support Ash, Elm, Oak, Evergreens, Maple, Cedar, and Cherry quite nicely. I've got some money, but I don't want to break the bank. Ideally I'd like some fast growing stuff (evergreens?) around the perimeter (fence to keep the evil farmer at bay) and then some nicer hardwoods on the interior. Any suggestions?

Chances are the next generation of trees is already growing and all you need to do is reconize them.

Fair enough,
Let me rephrase the question a little. I need a good cover crop to keep the bare ground from sprouting nasty little buggers before I get a chance to plant everything. I've got neighbors with critters that might enjoy some alfalfa or whatever and can plant and harvest. I'm also cool with the prairie grass/wildflower approach. I'd even consider planting wheat if it were cheap enough and did the job. I know some of you guys on this forum have been there done that. What works best and is economical and will buy some time before planting tree seedlings? I can get plenty of seedlings through the DNR very reasonably so I'll likely go that route and just plant what I can, when I can...

Fir grows very fast so you can grow them on the perimeters, that if your climate and soil can support them.
Cedar also makes a great perimeter barrier but they grow slow.
Of course apples will be great to attract game but you will need to get the right rootstock for your soil.
And they can make awesome firewood too.
Other than that, I don't know what else to recommend.
Oh, if you want a really fast growing evergreen for perimeter screening, wind, and sound barrier, go with Leyland Cypress.
You can start out with a few to establish and then propagate as much as you need from the cuttings.
That's what I'm doing with my property. But I got cedar growing on the lower elevation where the soil is a bit moist.
Good luck.

Back