Another wood id question. Red Elm?

Arborist Forum

Help Support Arborist Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Nogoingback

ArboristSite Operative
Reaction score
I'm thinking this might be red elm. Has a sweet smell when cut almost like cantaloupe but I can't think of how else to describe it. The area I'm cutting in is always on the wet side with mostly box alder growing around. This is in south east WI.
attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

I don't know why I didn't takes pics of the wood that was already cut up.

Bark and limb pattern definitely says elm to me, but not enuf of guru to go into sub species

Incidentally, never noticed cantalope smell from my mostly American elm cuttings.

Mexican food for lunch with helper upwind as tree dropped ???? ;-))

Last edited:
Thanks for the replies so far. I'll hopefully be back cutting this weekend and I'll get some pics what was cut. Also this stuff is not stringy at all and pops apart pretty easily accept for the last trunk section that I broke the handle of my Fiskars Super Split on. The handle had a hole and numerous cracks from being shot with a .22 that my friends dad was using on chipmunks. I don't know how he didn't see it because there's a scope on the gun and he was only about 35' away.

I cut a sweet gum one time that i swear smelled like strawberries. I know, thats weird but its true.:givebeer:

Latest posts

Back